Regional Director, Climate Policy, Finance and Carbon Markets - Africa
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
The Regional Director acts as the Regional Lead for Africa to drive business development in the region, ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy assignments with international, regional and/or national clients and nurture government relations for carbon project development.
The Regional Director is fully accountable to drive business development activities, generate new leads and provide oversight and leadership to consultancy assignments. Topics to be covered by the position include climate change policies and market-based instruments, NDC implementation and reporting, the design of financing instruments, climate finance and carbon monetisation strategies, as well as the design and implementation of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement.
In addition, the Regional Director will advise South Pole’s carbon project development teams, in Africa and globally, on evolving policy risks, international compliance markets and opportunities for ITMO sourcing and deal structuring.
The Regional Director plays a key role in building a team in Africa through ensuring strategic growth as well as contributing to meeting the CPFCM targets in the region and more broadly, developing South Pole services to address sustainability challenges. He/she is expected to be a seasoned people manager able to provide inspiration, motivation, and guidance to the team, as well as managers in the wider business line and company.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead and be accountable for the planning, management and execution of strategic consulting assignments for corporate and public sector clients on topics related to climate change policies and market-based instruments, NDC implementation and reporting, the design of financing instruments, climate finance and carbon monetisation strategies, as well as the design and implementation of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement, with the necessary know-how and skillset to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- Provide supervision and guidance on international, regional and/or national consulting assignments and proposals, as well as lead their technical review
- Contribute to the growth of the team in Africa and manage a growing team of consultants in a multi-cultural and multi-geography context, by leading the hiring processes, the onboarding of new team members and contributing to staff development and training
- Developing and executing the strategy for Africa in line with the CPFCM strategy to achieve short and long-term targets, including developing business plans
- Participate in business strategy and leadership-relevant internal discussions particularly in the region, to position CPFCM services and activities within South Pole's overall business and offering
- Represent South Pole and more specifically CPFCM at regional events, speaking engagements, and key stakeholder engagements and lead the development of new business opportunities in Africa
- Interact and build relationships with our local and international clients, maintaining positive and trust-based relations with business partners, shareholders, and authorities, contributing to the winning and timely delivery of consulting assignments
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field
- Relevant knowledge of climate policy, carbon markets, climate finance and/or corporate sustainability
- Excellent understanding of the regional climate policy context, carbon markets and climate finance developments, and/or the corporate sustainability landscape
- Relevant work experience working in the field of carbon, climate change or sustainability, ideally in Africa
- Excellent team and project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to manage teams in a multi-cultural and multi-geography context
- Excellent writing skills, with proven expertise in creating and reviewing high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Excellent stakeholder and client management skills
- Autonomous and proactive, yet strong ability to work collaboratively
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
- Excellent working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS products (Word, Excel)
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Team management experience
- Strong network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders such as governments, development finance institutions, development agencies, and other public or private donors/stakeholders, across Africa
- Language skills, other than English, especially French
- Experience working and/or advising on green finance schemes and market-based climate finance instruments in developing country contexts
- Experience leading or contributing to published research
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
- Project Sourcing
- Cape Town, Kenya
Life as a Penguin on the Iceberg
Health & WellbeingWe believe that health is central to happiness. We organise many wellbeing activities such as yoga, meditation sessions, sports groups, healthy snacks, active breaks, etc.
Work-life balanceFrom flexible working hours to flexible workplace (home office), with above-average vacation allowances, we strive to make the work and family life puzzle an easy one for our employees.
We practice what we preachFrom Vegan Days to plastic-free lunches, off-setting our own Company emissions and countless other initiatives, we fully live our values and lead by example on a daily basis.
Company outings and eventsIt is not only hard work, we also have lots of fun! We frequently get together to celebrate our successes, do activities together and get to know each other better
What makes us unique
At South Pole, we are first and foremost a purpose-driven Company. People join us because they believe in our mission and want to be part of a community that fights together for our shared values and beliefs. But that is not the only reason why working at South Pole is such a rewarding experience.
- We know that our vision to help create a greener world is both bold and challenging. To achieve it, we settle for nothing less than the absolute best. We form a Community that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
- Entrepreneurial at heart. It’s not just our founders who are entrepreneurs. We actively promote an innovative mindset at all levels of the organisation, where each and every employee is encouraged to challenge the status quo and empowered to make decisions.
- Growing employees in a growing company. With a team of smart, passionate and engaged colleagues, as well as increasing demand from our clients, opportunities to learn, develop our skills and grow our careers are endless.
- All for one, and one for all! Above all other things, what truly drives our dedication and commitment to our purpose is our colleagues. We learn from each other and grow together. Because that is who Penguins are.
About South Pole
At South Pole, we work with businesses and governments across the globe. We help realise deep decarbonisation pathways across industries, based on a thorough understanding of climate risks and opportunities in specific sectors, as well as the highest emission reduction standards. Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Regional Director, Climate Policy, Finance and Carbon Markets - Africa
Loading application form
Already working at South Pole?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.