South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, please apply now!
The Associate Director acts as the Regional Lead in Africa to drive business development in the region and ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy assignments with international, regional and/or national clients. Topics to be covered by the position include climate change policies and carbon pricing, NDC implementation and reporting, the design of financing instruments and climate finance strategies as well as cooperative approaches under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement.
You will be fully accountable for the development and overall management of proposals to secure funding for such assignments, as well as for their implementation, for which you will supervise various project teams. As the regional lead for Africa, you will also leverage your vast technical expertise to drive business development activities, generate new leads and contribute to consultancy assignments.
In addition, the Associate Director will advise South Pole’s carbon project sourcing and
development teams in the region on evolving policy risks, international compliance markets and opportunities for ITMO sourcing.
The Associate Director will nurture and grow the team in the region. He/she is expected to provide inspiration, motivation, and guidance to the team, as well as managers in the wider business line and company.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead and be accountable for the planning, management and execution of strategic consulting assignments for corporate and public sector clients on topics related to climate change policies and market-based instruments, NDC implementation and reporting, the design of financing instruments, climate finance and carbon monetisation strategies, as well as the design and implementation of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement, with the necessary know-how and skillset to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation.
- Provide supervision and guidance on international, regional and/or national consulting assignments and proposals, as well as lead their technical review.
- Contribute to the growth of the team in Africa and manage a growing team of consultants in a multi-cultural and multi-geography context, by leading the hiring processes, the onboarding of new team members and contributing to staff development and training.
- Developing and executing the strategy for the region in line with the South Pole strategy to achieve short and long-term targets. Participate in business strategy and leadership-relevant internal discussions particularly in the region
- Represent South Pole at regional events, speaking engagements, and key stakeholder engagements and lead the development of new business opportunities in Africa
- Interact and build relationships with our local and international clients, maintaining positive and trust-based relations with business partners, shareholders, and authorities, contributing to the winning and timely delivery of consulting assignments.
- Provide leadership and oversight on Article 6 project development and related government relations, in partnership with the CP teams in Africa
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field;
- Relevant knowledge of climate policy, carbon markets, climate finance and/or corporate sustainability;
- Excellent understanding of the regional climate policy context, carbon markets and climate finance developments, and/or the corporate sustainability landscape;
- Relevant work experience, at least partly in consulting, in the field of carbon, climate change or sustainability, ideally in Africa;
- Excellent team and project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and ability to manage teams in a multi-cultural and multi-geography context.
- Excellent writing skills, with proven expertise in creating and reviewing high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables);
- Excellent stakeholder and client management skills, including ability to lead an assignment from contract negotiation to final deliverables
- Autonomous and proactive, yet strong ability to work collaboratively;
- Commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment;
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills;
- Excellent working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS products (Word, Excel);
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Experience working with and implementing activities with large multilateral funding mechanisms and/or multi-stakeholder platforms
- Network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders such as governments, development finance institutions, development agencies, and other public or private donors/stakeholders, across Africa;
- Significant track record of securing funding through responding to tenders from public institutions and development agencies from a variety of donor agencies
- Diligent, reliable and proactive. Fully comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.