Consultant, Environmental Impact Accounting
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Consultant is to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy advice to international and regional clients on sustainability topics. You will play a leading role in the development and overall management of proposals on greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting services and climate change mitigation solutions as well as in the implementation of projects, for which you will manage small project teams. You will be the main point of contact for the client and may also act as a collaborator, providing specific inputs or serving a specific role on a mandate. In addition, you will support the development of new products for the corporate sector and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage medium-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- Interact and build relationships with our international, regional and local clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates
- Develop proposals for the corporate sector on greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting services and climate change mitigation solutions in close collaboration with the Key Account Management team and senior consulting professionals to support business development activities for the company
- For small advisory projects, occasionally provide high-level technical guidance and perform technical review of proposals and deliverables
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Support senior consulting and key account management teams in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- The topics of engagement will focus on GHG accounting and disclosure, plastics footprint and water footprint. Occasionally, some projects might extend to additional corporate sustainability topics such as climate change mitigation, Science Based Targets (SBTs), materiality assessment, and Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)
- University degree ideally in Environmental Sciences or Engineering, Economics or other sustainability-related disciplines.
- Relevant knowledge of environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies
- Relevant work experience in sustainability consulting or a related field, including specific consultancy experience for corporate clients in the following areas: GHG accounting in line with best practice methodologies; LCA/Scope 3 emissions accounting; target setting (SBTs); disclosure (e.g. CDP, TCFD); benchmarking/materiality assessment
- Good project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and ability to coordinate project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Excellent writing skills, with proven expertise in creating high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Good stakeholder and client management skills
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders
- Good understanding of environmental sustainability challenges and specific consultancy experience in the relevant areas of the practice
- Autonomous yet collaborative approach to work
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and [other local language if required]
- GHG management; climate change scenario analysis and risk and opportunity assessment (for either/both of physical and transition risks and in line with TCFD); and stakeholder engagement and change management
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Diligent, reliable, proactive and self-sufficient but collaborative approach to work
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Good prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
- Consultancy & Advisory Services
Life as a Penguin on the Iceberg
Health & WellbeingWe believe that health is central to happiness. We organise many wellbeing activities such as yoga, meditation sessions, sports groups, healthy snacks, active breaks, etc.
Work-life balanceFrom flexible working hours to flexible workplace (home office), with above-average vacation allowances, we strive to make the work and family life puzzle an easy one for our employees.
We practice what we preachFrom Vegan Days to plastic-free lunches, off-setting our own Company emissions and countless other initiatives, we fully live our values and lead by example on a daily basis.
Company outings and eventsIt is not only hard work, we also have lots of fun! We frequently get together to celebrate our successes, do activities together and get to know each other better
What makes us unique
At South Pole, we are first and foremost a purpose-driven Company. People join us because they believe in our mission and want to be part of a community that fights together for our shared values and beliefs. But that is not the only reason why working at South Pole is such a rewarding experience.
- We know that our vision to help create a greener world is both bold and challenging. To achieve it, we settle for nothing less than the absolute best. We form a Community that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
- Entrepreneurial at heart. It’s not just our founders who are entrepreneurs. We actively promote an innovative mindset at all levels of the organisation, where each and every employee is encouraged to challenge the status quo and empowered to make decisions.
- Growing employees in a growing company. With a team of smart, passionate and engaged colleagues, as well as increasing demand from our clients, opportunities to learn, develop our skills and grow our careers are endless.
- All for one, and one for all! Above all other things, what truly drives our dedication and commitment to our purpose is our colleagues. We learn from each other and grow together. Because that is who Penguins are.
About South Pole
At South Pole, we work with businesses and governments across the globe. We help realise deep decarbonisation pathways across industries, based on a thorough understanding of climate risks and opportunities in specific sectors, as well as the highest emission reduction standards. Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Consultant, Environmental Impact Accounting
Loading application form
Already working at South Pole?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.