Regional Senior Lead, Art. 6 Project Development, Climate Projects - LatAm
In this role, you will be responsible for exploring opportunities, building and negotiating new partnerships in order to develop climate mitigation projects eligible for producing emission reductions under the rules of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement in the Latam region. In this role, you will be responsible for managing the partnerships and engaging with the relevant stakeholders to ensure the effective execution of the climate project development and implementation under Article 6 requirements. You will work closely with the climate project teams on the technical issues related to the climate project development, the investment team to assess and facilitate financing for the project opportunities, and the climate policy, finance, and carbon market (CPFCM) team to understand the relevant UN, host country and buyer country requirements and secure approval letters (including corresponding adjustments); as well as with the applicable carbon certification standard. You will gauge and provide advice to the Regional Commercial Team on where to seek new opportunities and under which technologies, conditions, and procedures. Reporting to the Regional Associate Director, Business Development, Climate Projects - Latam, you will closely liaise with colleagues from our policy and finance teams, carbon project development, monitoring and certification team, and where required, the project implementation teams implementing project activities on the ground. In addition, you will participate in relevant meetings and conferences, proactively networking with relevant organizations including potential project partners, technical sessions, site visits, and other relevant events.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Lead and drive the business development of Article 6-related transactions under South Pole’s Latam, including scoping new countries and technologies, organizing and following through with targeted business meetings, leading pitching sessions, structuring and sourcing new deals related to the GHG mitigation activities that are eligible for Article 6-based transactions. The tasks also include negotiating and closing deals for signing mitigation outcome purchase agreements (MOPAs) and other relevant commercial contracts as well as ensuring the monetization of climate finance to the climate projects under Article 6 scope
- Develop relevant documentation and financial analyses, and commercial terms with project partners, relevant stakeholders, and our teams as needed to facilitate investment into climate mitigation development
- Support and collaborate with the regional climate project team in providing perspective and input through the whole development cycle of climate projects under Article 6 scope. As part of the climate project team, the responsibility covers delivering and ensuring high-quality mitigation outcome credits to our clients and relevant stakeholders
- Develop and sustain strong partnerships with project partners, communities, NGOs, government agencies, public and private sectors as well as relevant external stakeholders in order to ensure engagement for the purpose of climate project development under Article 6 scope
- Proactively network with relevant organizations, including attending relevant events, gatherings, and conferences and expanding the existing networks
- Coordinate closely with South Pole’s Climate Policy, Finance, and Carbon Markets team to ensure alignment of strategy and tactics on Article 6 engagement with potential ITMO opportunities
- Provide relevant information and curate communication and marketing materials relevant to disseminate South Pole’s article 6 commercial effort and results. This includes coordination and collaboration with other South Pole teams regarding business and opportunity development
- Support capacity-building activities for the Latam regional teams relevant to growing the climate project’s portfolio focusing on Article 6
- Support the Regional Director and Associate Regional Director in preparing, drafting, and presenting relevant information that reflects and analyzes the potential market conditions affecting current and future Article 6 transactions.
Essential skills and experience
- University Degree in economics, engineering, sustainability, environmental management, or related fields
- Master’s degree in development finance, climate change, environmental economics, finance or related is required
- Ability to source, design, develop and implement strategies regarding the climate project development is strongly desired
- Required experience: minimum of 7 years’ experience in commercial and business development or the origination role in carbon markets and other relevant environmental assets
- Strong track record in generating new business opportunities and closing deals
- Familiarity with the Paris Agreement, particularly articles 6.2 and 6.4 and the article 6 rulebook, and carbon standards like CDM, VCS, GS4GG or any regional carbon standard applicable for ITMO transactions
- Excellent leadership, problem-solving, teamwork, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in the development of climate projects and/or programs in the voluntary and/or compliance carbon market
- Experience working in Latin American countries is required to maintain good working relationships with clients and partners, including public sectors, NGO, private sector, multilateral organizations, and the relevant sectors
- Fluency in Spanish and English, excellent communication skills (written and verbal) is a must.
Desired skills and experience
- Willingness to travel within the region
- Experience working with NGOs, private and public sectors.
- Project Sourcing
- Bogotá, Medellin
Life as a Penguin on the Iceberg
Health & WellbeingWe believe that health is central to happiness. We organise many wellbeing activities such as yoga, meditation sessions, sports groups, healthy snacks, active breaks, etc.
Work-life balanceFrom flexible working hours to flexible workplace (home office), with above-average vacation allowances, we strive to make the work and family life puzzle an easy one for our employees.
We practice what we preachFrom Vegan Days to plastic-free lunches, off-setting our own Company emissions and countless other initiatives, we fully live our values and lead by example on a daily basis.
Company outings and eventsIt is not only hard work, we also have lots of fun! We frequently get together to celebrate our successes, do activities together and get to know each other better
What makes us unique
At South Pole, we are first and foremost a purpose-driven Company. People join us because they believe in our mission and want to be part of a community that fights together for our shared values and beliefs. But that is not the only reason why working at South Pole is such a rewarding experience.
- We know that our vision to help create a greener world is both bold and challenging. To achieve it, we settle for nothing less than the absolute best. We form a Community that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
- Entrepreneurial at heart. It’s not just our founders who are entrepreneurs. We actively promote an innovative mindset at all levels of the organisation, where each and every employee is encouraged to challenge the status quo and empowered to make decisions.
- Growing employees in a growing company. With a team of smart, passionate and engaged colleagues, as well as increasing demand from our clients, opportunities to learn, develop our skills and grow our careers are endless.
- All for one, and one for all! Above all other things, what truly drives our dedication and commitment to our purpose is our colleagues. We learn from each other and grow together. Because that is who Penguins are.
About South Pole
At South Pole, we work with businesses and governments across the globe. We help realise deep decarbonisation pathways across industries, based on a thorough understanding of climate risks and opportunities in specific sectors, as well as the highest emission reduction standards. Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Regional Senior Lead, Art. 6 Project Development, Climate Projects - LatAm
Loading application form
Already working at South Pole?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.