Business Development Manager - Sustainability
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Sales & Business Development team works hand in hand with our clients to help them identify the right products and solutions to address their sustainability challenges. Whether they are corporate clients or public institutions, whether they are looking to offset their carbon emissions or to engage in a comprehensive sustainability journey, we have a solution that will generate a lasting impact and take them a step further in their social ambitions. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Business Development Manager is to grow South Pole’s business in Japan. You will build strong long-term relationships with new clients as well as build South Pole’s market position in Japan. You will contribute to the definition and implementation of the go-to-market strategy in your region and provide inputs for product and service development. You will develop tailor-made solutions, in close collaboration with other teams such as marketing, consultancy and portfolio management, to help clients to manage their risks and seize opportunities associated with climate change. You will provide commercial guidance to the junior sales team and supervise them in client meetings.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Create new business opportunities to grow South Pole’s business around climate action in Japan
- Identify market trends, client needs and new business opportunities
- Help refine and implement the go-to-market strategy for Japan
- Represent South Pole in client meetings, at conferences and remotely
- Develop compelling offers and proposals together with portfolio team, our product experts and consultants
- Conclude commercial agreements with clients and partners, with assistance from senior management in more complex deal negotiation and contract development
- Maintain client satisfaction with existing clients in Japan through regular contact and ensuring high-quality services
- Collaborate with the marketing team to define customer segments, develop target lists and run campaigns
- Provide market feedback to practice leads, business lines managers and marketing team
- Support senior sales team in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings.
- Contribute to the sustainable commercial success of the team and the company
- University degree in Sustainability and/or Business related discipline
- Several years of proven business development and sales experience in the sustainability field (renewable energy or carbon markets), corporate responsibility, sustainable development and/or climate change)
- Track record in meeting and exceeding sales targets
- Understanding of the business drivers behind corporate climate actions and initiatives (e.g. SBT, CDP, RE100, net zero) and the ability to formulate a business case
- Strong drive for results, action-oriented, with self-direction and sense of urgency
- Ability to challenge the status quo and think out of the box
- Critical thinking and decision-making skills with strong business and commercial acumen
- Ability to successfully navigate complexity and effectively deal with ambiguity
- Excellent Japanese and English skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Advanced skills in G-Suite applications
- Solution-oriented and creative mindset
- Entrepreneurial mindset, sense of responsibility and willingness to take initiative
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Experience in leading a small team
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
- Sales & Business Development
Life as a Penguin on the Iceberg
Health & WellbeingWe believe that health is central to happiness. We organise many wellbeing activities such as yoga, meditation sessions, sports groups, healthy snacks, active breaks, etc.
Work-life balanceFrom flexible working hours to flexible workplace (home office), with above-average vacation allowances, we strive to make the work and family life puzzle an easy one for our employees.
We practice what we preachFrom Vegan Days to plastic-free lunches, off-setting our own Company emissions and countless other initiatives, we fully live our values and lead by example on a daily basis.
Company outings and eventsIt is not only hard work, we also have lots of fun! We frequently get together to celebrate our successes, do activities together and get to know each other better
What makes us unique
At South Pole, we are first and foremost a purpose-driven Company. People join us because they believe in our mission and want to be part of a community that fights together for our shared values and beliefs. But that is not the only reason why working at South Pole is such a rewarding experience.
- We know that our vision to help create a greener world is both bold and challenging. To achieve it, we settle for nothing less than the absolute best. We form a Community that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
- Entrepreneurial at heart. It’s not just our founders who are entrepreneurs. We actively promote an innovative mindset at all levels of the organisation, where each and every employee is encouraged to challenge the status quo and empowered to make decisions.
- Growing employees in a growing company. With a team of smart, passionate and engaged colleagues, as well as increasing demand from our clients, opportunities to learn, develop our skills and grow our careers are endless.
- All for one, and one for all! Above all other things, what truly drives our dedication and commitment to our purpose is our colleagues. We learn from each other and grow together. Because that is who Penguins are.
About South Pole
At South Pole, we work with businesses and governments across the globe. We help realise deep decarbonisation pathways across industries, based on a thorough understanding of climate risks and opportunities in specific sectors, as well as the highest emission reduction standards. Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Business Development Manager - Sustainability
Loading application form
Already working at South Pole?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.