South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Portfolio Management team oversees and develops business for the sale and trading of carbon credits and Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). By working collaboratively with both our internal Sales and Projects teams, we play a crucial role in balancing the demand and supply of certificates, in order to best match the needs of our clients with our sourcing capabilities. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
South Pole is looking for an Energy Attribute Certificates (EAC) trader to strengthen the Procurement & Trading team.
The goal of the EAC/Guarantees of Origin Trader is to find business opportunities in the EAC market, specifically for Guarantees of Origin. The qualified candidate can build on the demand side, covered by our end client sales via our Climate Solutions business line. In coordination with our portfolio management team, the EAC trader is expected to originate the supply of EACs throughout Europe as well as find specific demand side opportunities, mainly originating from the wholesale and traded market. The candidate should be willing and able to develop a strategy to build a Guarantees of Origin book and to optimize South Pole’s position.
The EAC/Guarantees of Origin Trader is expected to be in touch and maintain contact with peers and counterparties in the wholesale market, as well as represent South Pole at key industry events and towards specific wholesale clients.
As this role sits within the Procurement & Trading division within South Pole, it offers a new opportunity to work on developing a new business within an existing and long standing brand, as well as own a mandate to trade EAC’s and portfolio manage the overall South Pole position in Guarantees of Origin.
While the initial focus of the role is for Guarantees of Origin, candidates with experience in biomethane and other environmental commodities are encouraged to apply.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Structuring and executing EAC transactions
- Portfolio management of Guarantees of Origins, in coordination with the rest of the renewables portfolio team in the division.
- Originate opportunities to buy and sell Guarantees of Origin throughout Europe.
- Support the team in trading other environmental commodities, where required and requested.
- Support clients with advice regarding the use and procurement of Guarantees of Origin and other related environmental commodities
- Develop a strategy and support internal growth in regards of Guarantees of Origin, as well as overall EACs and other environmental commodities.
- Explain relevant reporting standards, such as RE100, CDP etc. to clients and transact based on their requirements.
- Relevant experience in Guarantees of Origin and/or related environmental commodities (biomethane, white certificates etc)
- Analytical thinking and view on the market.
- Ability to translate own research and that of team members into business opportunities
- Able and daring to take risk and ability to explain the risks taken to a wider range of internal stakeholders
- Good understanding of and ability to explain relevant reporting standards, such as RE100, CDP etc.
- Has a network of contacts within the EAC market and ability to grow that further
- Fluent in English and one additional European language
- Team player and collaborative attitude
- Understanding of biomethane and other relevant environmental commodities
- German, Spanish, French or other additional languages are preferred
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.