Climate Projects Practice Leader – Biodiversity Market
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
Biodiversity decline is a key concern for South Pole. The good news is that in recent years we are seeing a sharp increase in global biodiversity ambitions, initiatives and the development of biodiversity markets. Biodiversity credits are expected as a logical next step. South Pole aims to help develop this field and become a market leader, creating impact and commercial opportunities as an early mover. South Pole has important strengths to build on, including our position as a VCS market leader; our global network of clients and projects; and our strong track record in biodiversity consulting.
This role aims to lead the South Pole's Biodiversity Global practice within the Climate Projects Strategy unit.
The Biodiversity practice includes projects in the area of conservation, restoration and agriculture, to develop and commercialise Biodiversity credits.
Reporting to the Climate Projects Technology Strategy Director Agriculture, this role is responsible for active participation in the development of a global biodiversity credit market, while securing a commercial fit for South Pole. To achieve this goal will require the assumption of a significant leadership role in the company.
The global strategies for the Biodiversity Practice will be coordinated with the Technology Strategy Director-NBS, the Technology Strategy Director-Agriculture, regional directors, the AVC director and local experts to ensure strategic alignment with all the business lines within South Pole.
In addition, the job will shape and continually update South Pole's Biodiversity Strategies, to ensure continued alignment with the Climate Projects business line. Through strategic vision, expertise and leadership, this position will inspire our multifaceted teams worldwide to source and secure high quality biodiversity projects.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Develop the Biodiversity Practice Roadmap for the company including a business case, supporting the Technology Strategy Team in the approval process
- Define, own, communicate and deliver on the global strategy for Biodiversity credits aligned with the company’s global goals, objectives and KPIs
- Serve as an expert advisor on Biodiversity market and project-related activities within the Climate Projects team, both in the global South and in emerging biodiversity markets like the US, EU and Australia
- Establish business performance targets and metrics and be accountable to assist the regions implementing the practices
- Contribute to the global annual strategy and collaborate with Technology Strategy Directors NBS to achieve results and targets
- Work with the Global Partnership unit to lead and structure long-term, complex, and strategic partnerships and deal with different stakeholders to position South Pole in the new global biodiversity market
- Maintain and develop a network of partners, companies, standards, methodology developers, investors, businesses, and communities active in the sectors
- Manage the ongoing biodiversity pilot projects
- Partner closely with other functions, particularly with the Regions, the climate project strategy lab, the Technical team (PDME-Project Design, Management & Evaluation), Biodiversity consultancy team, and Partnership & Expansion, to optimise and align the strategy
- Lead the collaboration for biodiversity work with other business lines such as Climate Solutions and Climate investment
- Gather market intelligence and identify industry trends in biodiversity conservation, restoration, identify and understand the market players and competitors
- Serve as a subject expert when required in client meetings, exhibitions and other corporate events and represent South Pole in different forums on the topic of biodiversity
- Drive innovation and entrepreneurship through leadership and decisive action within the global strategy team, including assessing potential projects/companies-related equity investments for consideration by the investment board and proposing potential corporate innovations to the investment board or to the South Pole regions
- Work closely with colleagues across the organisation to empower matrixed teams that deliver on our vision of climate action for all
- University degree in Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Business, or other relevant discipline
- Several years of work experience, including relevant years of experience in business development roles within the sustainability sector, specifically in the topics of biodiversity conservation and restoration
- Know-how of global corporate best practices related to climate strategies, such as the Science Based Targets for Nature, Task Force on Nature Related Financial Disclosure (TNFD) and Net Zero pledges
- Proven experience with developing new markets, as well as delivering commercial success within emerging or dynamic markets
- Experience in establishing clear performance targets and metrics, with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding challenging targets
- Experience with methodology development for certification of environmental impacts, preferably in the biodiversity topic
- Strategic and entrepreneurial mindset, with the ability to establish a compelling vision for Biodiversity within the Technology Strategy unit
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to structure and negotiate deals that are commercially sound and profitable for South Pole
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to partner effectively with key internal and external stakeholders
- Strong quantitative skills and the ability to use data and metrics to inform decisions
- Excellent leadership skills, with the ability to inspire action and get the best out of people
- Ability to present ideas to internal stakeholders in all regions and levels of the organisation
- Ability to work on global and regional complex issues
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Fluency in English, experience with cross-cultural, international collaboration, as well as in working with local communities in biodiversity hotspots
- Experience in scaling up a fast-growing organisation in the context of a highly competitive market environment
- Expertise in Environmental Market, carbon emission projects and global standards
- Experience in working with multinational Conservation NGOs and foundations
- Experience in pipeline development, CRM, Excel and similar tools
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
- Project Sourcing
- Multiple locations
Life as a Penguin on the Iceberg
Health & WellbeingWe believe that health is central to happiness. We organise many wellbeing activities such as yoga, meditation sessions, sports groups, healthy snacks, active breaks, etc.
Work-life balanceFrom flexible working hours to flexible workplace (home office), with above-average vacation allowances, we strive to make the work and family life puzzle an easy one for our employees.
We practice what we preachFrom Vegan Days to plastic-free lunches, off-setting our own Company emissions and countless other initiatives, we fully live our values and lead by example on a daily basis.
Company outings and eventsIt is not only hard work, we also have lots of fun! We frequently get together to celebrate our successes, do activities together and get to know each other better
What makes us unique
At South Pole, we are first and foremost a purpose-driven Company. People join us because they believe in our mission and want to be part of a community that fights together for our shared values and beliefs. But that is not the only reason why working at South Pole is such a rewarding experience.
- We know that our vision to help create a greener world is both bold and challenging. To achieve it, we settle for nothing less than the absolute best. We form a Community that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
- Entrepreneurial at heart. It’s not just our founders who are entrepreneurs. We actively promote an innovative mindset at all levels of the organisation, where each and every employee is encouraged to challenge the status quo and empowered to make decisions.
- Growing employees in a growing company. With a team of smart, passionate and engaged colleagues, as well as increasing demand from our clients, opportunities to learn, develop our skills and grow our careers are endless.
- All for one, and one for all! Above all other things, what truly drives our dedication and commitment to our purpose is our colleagues. We learn from each other and grow together. Because that is who Penguins are.
About South Pole
At South Pole, we work with businesses and governments across the globe. We help realise deep decarbonisation pathways across industries, based on a thorough understanding of climate risks and opportunities in specific sectors, as well as the highest emission reduction standards. Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Climate Projects Practice Leader – Biodiversity Market
Loading application form
Already working at South Pole?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.