Associate Director, Business Development UK
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Sales & Business Development team works hand in hand with our clients to help them identify the right products and solutions to address their sustainability challenges. Whether they are corporate clients or public institutions, whether they are looking to offset their carbon emissions or to engage in a comprehensive sustainability journey, we have a solution that will generate a lasting impact and take them a step further in their social ambitions. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The transformation to a net-zero emissions economy requires private companies to set ambitious climate targets and engage in bold climate action. The purpose of this leadership role is to create environmental impact and drive South Pole’s business in the UK and Ireland region, one of the fastest growing markets of the Climate Solutions business line. The region is managed jointly with the Netherlands, so collaboration with your counterpart in the Netherlands is crucial.
You will oversee our business activities in the region, with a primary focus on business development and key account management. You will establish the regional go-to-market strategy, define the annual budget and be accountable for the business performance of the region. You will also work in close collaboration with our regional and global marketing and implementation teams to develop our solutions and seize new opportunities.
To achieve this, you will lead, develop, and inspire our multifaceted and passionate regional teams to deliver strong value to all our clients and to advance the climate agenda with impact and pride in a dynamic and fast paced working environment.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Strategy: Lead and drive South Pole’s Business development in the UK and Ireland by defining and implementing the regional go-to-market strategy and ensuring South Pole has the resources and ability to deliver the environmental impact and commercial results
- Team development: Directly lead, develop and inspire the regional team of business development and key account managers to ensure they deliver to their fullest potential. In addition you also provide business guidance for regional marketing and implementation teams by providing inputs to recruitment, target setting and performance evaluations
- Business Development: grow South Pole’s market presence in the region by driving and guiding the identification and creation of new business opportunities, design and rollout of regional marketing activities, negotiation and closure of deals with existing and new clients, and the coordination of deliverables with our implementation teams
- Drive the performance of the combined region through strong collaboration with your counterpart in the Netherlands, the regional Head of Climate Solutions, the Practice leads that reside in London and Amsterdam and the management of the consulting teams
- Client experience: Ensure a smooth and inspiring client experience, from the first contact until the successful delivery of our solutions by partnering closely with all of South Pole’s functional teams, such as marketing, implementation, and post-sales
- Solutions Development: Contribute to the improvement and development of existing and new solutions by translating and providing client and market feedback to the marketing and implementation team
- Budget Responsibility: Establish the annual regional annual budget of the Climate Solutions business line in close collaboration with Practice Leaders and be accountable for the financial performance of the region
- Commercial Accountability: Ensure sound commercial judgment by taking accountability for the conclusion of business agreements with clients and business partners in the region
- Lead & Inspire: Represent South Pole in meetings, at events, webinars, conferences and inspire clients, partners and employees to accelerate the fight against climate change
- Strong drive and desire to help solving one of the world’s biggest challenges - climate change - with compelling, scientifically robust and commercially sound solutions
- University degree in Environmental Sciences, Business or other relevant discipline
- Senior commercial or business development leader with extensive experience, with several years experience in a people management capacity
- Working experience in sustainability, or at least strong understanding of the most important drivers for corporate climate action
- Sound knowledge in some of the following fields: carbon markets, renewable energy, corporate responsibility, sustainable development or climate change
- Strong business acumen and proven track record in relationship building and negotiation with clients, and relevant business associations
- Experience in strategy development, execution, management and budget setting
- Outstanding leadership skills, with the ability to inspire action and get the best out of people
- Proven track record of managing cross-functional, high-performing and diverse teams and achieving strong results through them
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to build relationships and partner effectively with both clients as well as internal stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial mindset and proven sales track record
- Experience in scaling up a fast-growing commercial team in the context of a highly competitive market environment
- Flexible, able to deal with ambiguity and to operate in a fast growing international organisation
- Experience in senior consultancy work
- Existing network with leading companies in the UK and Ireland
- Strong quantitative skills, with the ability to use data and metrics to draw conclusions and inform decisions
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
- Sales & Business Development
Life as a Penguin on the Iceberg
Health & WellbeingWe believe that health is central to happiness. We organise many wellbeing activities such as yoga, meditation sessions, sports groups, healthy snacks, active breaks, etc.
Work-life balanceFrom flexible working hours to flexible workplace (home office), with above-average vacation allowances, we strive to make the work and family life puzzle an easy one for our employees.
We practice what we preachFrom Vegan Days to plastic-free lunches, off-setting our own Company emissions and countless other initiatives, we fully live our values and lead by example on a daily basis.
Company outings and eventsIt is not only hard work, we also have lots of fun! We frequently get together to celebrate our successes, do activities together and get to know each other better
What makes us unique
At South Pole, we are first and foremost a purpose-driven Company. People join us because they believe in our mission and want to be part of a community that fights together for our shared values and beliefs. But that is not the only reason why working at South Pole is such a rewarding experience.
- We know that our vision to help create a greener world is both bold and challenging. To achieve it, we settle for nothing less than the absolute best. We form a Community that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
- Entrepreneurial at heart. It’s not just our founders who are entrepreneurs. We actively promote an innovative mindset at all levels of the organisation, where each and every employee is encouraged to challenge the status quo and empowered to make decisions.
- Growing employees in a growing company. With a team of smart, passionate and engaged colleagues, as well as increasing demand from our clients, opportunities to learn, develop our skills and grow our careers are endless.
- All for one, and one for all! Above all other things, what truly drives our dedication and commitment to our purpose is our colleagues. We learn from each other and grow together. Because that is who Penguins are.
About South Pole
At South Pole, we work with businesses and governments across the globe. We help realise deep decarbonisation pathways across industries, based on a thorough understanding of climate risks and opportunities in specific sectors, as well as the highest emission reduction standards. Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Associate Director, Business Development UK
Loading application form
Already working at South Pole?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.