Managing Consultant, Sustainable Finance
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Managing Consultant in Sustainable Finance is to ensure the timely delivery of high quality consultancy advice to international, regional and local clients on sustainability topics for the financial sector. You will be accountable for the development and overall management of opportunities and proposals for financial sector clients, as well as the implementation of projects, for which you will supervise small project teams.
You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client. In addition, you will contribute to business
development activities in the region as well as the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise medium- to large-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- Interact and build relationships with our international and regional clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates
- Develop proposals for the financial sector clients on topics including financed emissions, climate disclosure, net zero commitments and targets in collaboration with the Key Account Management team and with senior consulting professionals to support business development activities for the company
- Provide guidance on and technical leadership in developing proposals and implementing advisory projects, as well as lead their technical review
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Support the practice team in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- Lead and directly manage small teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Topics of engagement may include: carbon accounting of financial instruments (financed emissions and insurance-associated emissions), climate-related risks and opportunities, climate related disclosure for financial institutions (TCFD, CDP, GRI), regulatory requirements (SEC, EU Taxonomy) and net zero commitments and Science Based Targets for financial institutions
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in finance, economics or a sustainability related field including but not limited to Finance, Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Political Sciences, Data Science, Engineering, Applied Math, or related disciplines
- Relevant knowledge of financial markets (actors, asset classes, stakeholders), climate regulation, carbon markets and sustainability, specially on the development of decarbonisation strategies
- Relevant work experience (the expectation is a minimum of 6 years) in sustainability consulting, impact investing, asset management or other related fields of expertise
- Industry-relevant connections, with a substantial network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders such as retail And commercial banks, investment banks, asset managers and insurance firms, particularly in North America
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Advanced project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Proven expertise in autonomously creating high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Advanced stakeholder and client management skills
- Sound understanding of environmental sustainability challenges and specific consultancy experience in the relevant areas of the practice
- Excellent oral and written skills in English. Fluency in German, French or Spanish is a plus
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage
- Excellent quantitative, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and Google Suite applications
- Diligent, reliable, proactive and self-sufficient but collaborative approach to work
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Advanced prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
- Consultancy & Advisory Services
- Flexible location in the US, Flexible Location in Canada
Life as a Penguin on the Iceberg
Health & WellbeingWe believe that health is central to happiness. We organise many wellbeing activities such as yoga, meditation sessions, sports groups, healthy snacks, active breaks, etc.
Work-life balanceFrom flexible working hours to flexible workplace (home office), with above-average vacation allowances, we strive to make the work and family life puzzle an easy one for our employees.
We practice what we preachFrom Vegan Days to plastic-free lunches, off-setting our own Company emissions and countless other initiatives, we fully live our values and lead by example on a daily basis.
Company outings and eventsIt is not only hard work, we also have lots of fun! We frequently get together to celebrate our successes, do activities together and get to know each other better
What makes us unique
At South Pole, we are first and foremost a purpose-driven Company. People join us because they believe in our mission and want to be part of a community that fights together for our shared values and beliefs. But that is not the only reason why working at South Pole is such a rewarding experience.
- We know that our vision to help create a greener world is both bold and challenging. To achieve it, we settle for nothing less than the absolute best. We form a Community that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
- Entrepreneurial at heart. It’s not just our founders who are entrepreneurs. We actively promote an innovative mindset at all levels of the organisation, where each and every employee is encouraged to challenge the status quo and empowered to make decisions.
- Growing employees in a growing company. With a team of smart, passionate and engaged colleagues, as well as increasing demand from our clients, opportunities to learn, develop our skills and grow our careers are endless.
- All for one, and one for all! Above all other things, what truly drives our dedication and commitment to our purpose is our colleagues. We learn from each other and grow together. Because that is who Penguins are.
About South Pole
At South Pole, we work with businesses and governments across the globe. We help realise deep decarbonisation pathways across industries, based on a thorough understanding of climate risks and opportunities in specific sectors, as well as the highest emission reduction standards. Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Managing Consultant, Sustainable Finance
Loading application form
Already working at South Pole?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.