South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
As part of the Global Sourcing team within the Climate Projects business line the Senior Sourcing Specialist, Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) Removals, will primarily focus on Nature-based emission removals project leads and opportunities in the Southeast Asia region.
Reporting to a senior NBS team member in the Asia NBS Sourcing team, you will actively support business development and emission removals project sourcing related activities in the region – especially related to forestry such as afforestation, reforestation and other NBS removals topics such as conservation (REDD+), blue carbon and agriculture-based emission reduction projects.
In this exciting role, you will work closely with other teams within the Climate Projects business line, allowing you a global perspective on climate finance and sustainability.
This is an externally facing position that will require strong networking and communication skills. You will be dealing directly with many project partners and sustainability-related actors to help collaborate and source emission removals projects for South Pole’s project portfolio in the region.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Support Southeast Asia project sourcing operations activities for carbon credits and possibly other environmental market products
- Ensure that sourcing flows and processes (including documentation and interaction with other teams) are in line with the company guidelines
- Manage and maintain information regarding project leads and opportunities, ensuring they are well recorded and updated
- Support coordination and collaboration with other teams within South Pole globally, in regards to project leads and opportunities
- Source new project leads and opportunities for the Southeast Asia region aligned to Sourcing strategies and mandates
- Create and negotiate commercial terms with Project Partners, as well as draft contracts and commercial proposals
- Conduct research relevant to new project leads, project developers, project partners, relevant regulatory regimes/policies in the Southeast Asia region
- Collect data from project partners or other third parties for due diligence, financing plans and budgets, technical, financial, and legal documentation
- When relevant, attend meetings/seminars/workshops/events that are strategic for sourcing team activities
- University degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Sustainability, Business Development and Law or similar
- Relevant experience in environmental projects assessment/development/implementation especially in the NBS Removals sector, ideally in an international environment
- Where such experience is linked to (and/or is within the context of) carbon markets both compliance or voluntary will be a bonus
- Familiarity (especially hands-on experience) with emission reduction standards and methodologies in the NBS sector of the Voluntary Carbon Market, is a major advantage
- Good understanding of commercial terms/structures and ideally experience with commercial negotiations
- Existing networks in NBS fields such as Forestry, Conservation or Agriculture
- Native or fluent in a relevant local Southeast Asian national language and professional proficiency in English is a must
Experience and interest in engagements and networking — people skills
- Experience in project screening and budgeting/financing
- Knowledge of relevant NBS Removals project development in the Southeast Asia region
- Good understanding of climate change mitigation actions and frameworks such as Net-Zero, Climate Neutrality, etc
- Comfortable working with an international and multicultural team
- Experience working in an international development context
- Demonstrated adaptability and versatility
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.