South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
As the Regional Director, you will own and grow the Climate Projects Business Line presence in the USA & Canada region. The position covers both business development, commercial oversight and human and financial resource management.
You will further develop South Pole’s regional go-to-market strategy for project identification, contracting and implementation, define and oversee the annual regional budget and be accountable for the business performance of the Region to achieve the Climate Projects' strategic growth ambitions.
Reporting to the Global Senior Director, Regions, Climate Projects, you will work in tight collaboration with the Global Technologies Directors, which will define the global strategy for their sector, to develop and market our solutions and seize opportunities associated with climate change. You will also cooperate and add value to South Pole’s global Procurement, portfolio and Advisory (CPFCM) teams and Project Design, Monitoring and Evaluation teams.
Through your vision and leadership, you will inspire our multifaceted teams in the region to drive business growth and increase our market share while powerfully impacting the communities around us and the climate action movement.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead and drive business performance in the USA & CDN region, by defining and implementing the regional go-to-market strategy, based on the global strategies defined by technology directors and South Pole’s technical and financial capabilities and ensuring South Pole has the resources and the ability to deliver the results
- Directly lead, develop, coach and inspire a fast-growing team holistically, including also external consultants and strategic partners
- Lead and drive the identification and creation of new business opportunities to grow South Pole’s market presence, negotiate and close deals with existing and new project partners and assure delivery on agreed contractual terms, or coordinate such deal closing with South Pole Partners.
- Identify cross-functional gaps in our capabilities in USA & CDN region, by collecting feedback from our project partners in a structured way, and proactively addressing these, in close collaboration with the global technology Directors, PDME and marketing teams
- Establish and oversee the regional annual budget in collaboration with the Climate Project’s Finance Business Partner, and assess efficiency of project identification, contracting and implementation.
- Work closely with South Pole's Portfolio and Trading teams to ensure a close alignment between global market demand and the company's portfolio of carbon credits, RECs and other environmental units where applicable.
- Partner closely with the marketing team to identify target sectors, assess market opportunities and make best use of our marketing budget including for relevant events and materials
- Oversee the timely development of commercially sound and compelling offers and proposals to project partners, in close collaboration with our product experts and consultants where required
- Take accountability for concluding commercial agreements with project partners and other business partners
- Be accountable for the implementation and enforcement of South Pole policies and procedures
- Set the objectives and review the performance against these objectives of all the direct reports within the region.
- Lead the HR/People’s agenda in coordination with Global Regions Director and in collaboration with the Climate Projects HRBP team, Manage the Performance and Development of the direct reports
- Engage with corporates, communities and other stakeholders in the NAM region regarding our entire Climate Projects offering and provide inputs to our technology directors and the innovation team to support the development of new solutions
- Represent South Pole in client meetings, at events, conferences and trade shows
- Inspire clients, partners and employees to accelerate the fight against climate change
- Act as legal representative or join relevant local company boards for South Pole’s legal entities in the region.
- Provide inputs, market insight and specific leads for potential mergers and acquisitions
- University degree in Environmental Sciences, Business or other relevant disciplines
- Senior commercial or business development leader with extensive relevant experience, of which at least six years in a people management capacity
- A strong network with companies and other groups in the USA & CDN, especially those that can implement or facilitate substantial emission reductions, which may include groups as different as utilities, project developers, low emissions technology providers, indigenous or rural communities, concession owners, environmental NGOs or timberland asset management organizations
- Outstanding leadership skills, with the ability to inspire action and get the best out of people, cultural fit to our South Pole culture and people
- Proven track record of managing cross-functional, high-performing, diverse teams and successful experience in leading a team and achieving strong commercial results through them
- Proven track record in establishing stretch targets and holding self and team accountable for, meeting or exceeding them
- Proven track record in relationship building and negotiation with customers and relevant associations
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to build relationships and partner effectively with both clients as well as internal stakeholders
- Highly result-driven and action-oriented with a strong drive for success and impact
- Strong perseverance and determination to engage new clients
- Substantial proven experience in global voluntary carbon markets
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Experience in scaling up a fast-growing team in the context of a highly competitive market environment
- Strong financial and planning skills, with experience leading strategy and budgeting processes at the regional level
- Strong quantitative skills, with the ability to use data and metrics to draw conclusions and inform decisions
- Fluency in French or Spanish is a plus
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.