South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The purpose of this role is to lead the climate mitigation practice in the Nature Based Solution (NBS) sector in SEA. In this leadership role, you will have responsibility to guide and direct the climate project development and implementation team focusing on NBS, ensuring they effectively execute our climate projects and Implementation activities within the region.
Reporting to Regional Director SEA - Climate projects, you will oversee the timely and effective project management process and overall project operations for forestry and land use emission reduction and removal projects including the management of the full climate project development cycle in the assigned region. This position also works closely with regional leaders (technology strategies, project design, management and evaluation team, portfolio management, climate policy, business management, HR, etc.) where required. In addition, you will participate in relevant meetings and conferences, proactively networking with relevant organisations including with potential project partners, technology providers, local stakeholders during site visit and other relevant events.
As a team leader for the NBS practice, the tasks include overseeing the sourcing of new climate projects in NBS, leveraging the technical expertise to drive the related business development activities of the climate project development team, delivering the credits and managing the NBS portfolio. This is to ensure South Pole will properly and efficiently grasp key developments to raise the amount of emission reductions we can generate and contribute to the company’s bottom line. As a people manager, the task includes hiring and managing teams, inspiring the multifaceted teams to deliver strong value to our project partners, communities and other project stakeholders, and to advance climate action as a whole.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Overall responsibility and lead for carbon credits origination in the area of NBS in SEA and the assigned regions, as well as full climate project cycle development, implementation and management
- Team management and ensure issues are actively communicated with the Director SEA, and resolved, consulting, where needed, with the Project Design, Management & Evaluation team, the Technology Strategies team, Portfolio team, Accounting and HR
- Map and plan resources efficiently and adequately to optimise team activities
- Budget definition and controlling as well as human resource management at individual project and project portfolio level
- Accountable for the relationships with the Project Partners (PP), the carbon credit Registry, the Auditor (third party independent certifier) and related administrative tasks such as invoices, payments and accounting follow ups
- Support the Regional Director in focusing the Marketing team’s effort, and reply to project information requests from the Portfolio team.
- Support climate project teams in other world regions with new leads, proposal preparation and project development cycle on a case by case basis
- Take the lead in growing our NBS teams/offices and activities in SEA together with other relevant internal stakeholders; including building the most optimum teams structures and talented/ambitious project managers
- University Degree in Natural resource management, forestry, ecology, climate change, environmental economics, engineering or other related fields required; terminal degree (Master’s) strongly preferred.
- Ability to coordinate workflows within several different teams/regions
- Subject level experience in natural resource management and nature-based solutions, including experience in climate change, mitigation, GHG accounting and ecosystem services accounting
- Excellent leadership, with a problem-solving attitude, team player, Experience in the development of NBS climate projects and/or programs in the voluntary and/or compliance carbon market
- Familiarity with carbon standards like VCS, GS4GG, plan vivo, including co-benefits standards such as CCBS.
- Vast experience in guiding and directing the work of others, with thorough functional knowledge/expertise in the field of REDD+, ARR and other NBS related fields such as agricultural land management,
- Experience working in ASEAN countries is required to maintain good working relationships with clients and partners, including public sectors, NGO, the private sector, foundations, multilateral organizations, and the relevant sectors.
- Fluency in English and excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated experience in project development and management, engagement with clients as well as communication on commercial & technical issues
- Experience managing technical projects with a diverse team of individuals and consultants.
- Willingness to travel within the region
Desired skills and experience
- Fluency in any ASEAN language is strongly preferred
- Willingness to travel within the region
- Experience working with local communities, NGO and public sectors
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.