South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The purpose of this role is to manage the development of climate mitigation projects in the Nature Based Solution (NBS) sector in SEA. In this leading role, you will have responsibility to manage and conduct the climate project development and implementation team focusing on NBS, ensuring they effectively execute our climate projects and Implementation activities within the region.
As a Senior Manager of projects development, you will oversee the timely and effective generation and delivery of emission reductions, as well as the management of several full project cycles in SEA and the assigned regions. Reporting directly to the Regional Associate Director, NBS, Climate Projects, SEA, you will manage and lead the assigned team members with regional NBS topics and other NBS related sourcing and project development topics, as well as assign project coordinators to support the team activities.
You will be fully responsible for a team of project coordinators and project managers based in SEA and you will ensure that all projects assigned to your team and under your expertise are implemented as agreed upon while adhering to a high standard of quality.
The tasks include a technical advisory related to the NBS sectors in order to drive the related business development activities of the climate project development, delivering and ensuring the high-quality of carbon credits. This is to ensure South Pole will properly and efficiently develop every relevant opportunity to enhance positive environmental impacts as.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Responsible for the implementation and management of the emission reduction projects which includes leading/drafting feasibility studies and project design documents, validation, monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) support under different standards (Article 6 of Paris Agreement, VERRA and national or local standards) among other local and international carbon schemes
- Manage the assigned NBS projects including the specialist members. Keep the team members (collaborators) informed of their progress in the project and remind them to stay within the time and budget agreed
- Design, organize, and conduct site visits and travel to project locations whenever needed
- Be the key point of contact and maintain a good relationship with the team members inside the company, project partners, clients, validation and verification bodies, and other counterparts
- Prepare proposals and deliverables and finalise them to the quality standards required by South Pole and the client
- Define and plan content and structure to support the certification of the project: work plans, work schedules, budgets, and deliverables. This include scheduling technical reviews and quality checks
- Manage project participants' accounts and update proposal/project information in the project management tool and ensure all relevant documents are accessible on the drive at any time
- Draft invoices to be approved by the supervisor and sent to accounting for submission to clients and keep general information, milestones and cash flow in the project management software up to date
- Provide technical advisory and support to business development teams and other collaborators within the organization
- Support negotiation and signing of emission reduction agreements with the project partners, and follow up with the internal procedures in South Pole internal project management tool
- Support the capacity building in growing our NBS climate project teams and activities in the assigned regions together with other relevant internal stakeholders; including building the most optimum teams and talented/ambitious project managers, ensuring all team members receiving ongoing training and having the necessary skills and knowledge to perform their work effectively
- University Degree in forestry, agriculture, natural resource management, sustainability or climate change and carbon mitigation related fields
- Extensive work experience in Forestry, Sustainability Consulting, Climate Change Mitigation/Adaptation or related fields.
- Experience in guiding and directing the work of others, with thorough functional knowledge/expertise in the field of ALM, REDD+, ACoGS, ARR and other AFOLU related topics
- Ability to work on assignments that are diverse in nature, applying company policies, processes and procedures to resolve a variety of issues/problems.
- The capacity to solve relatively complex project-related problems independently, and receive general direction on new assignments or projects
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in Bahansa and English
- Have excellent communication skills, especially verbal and written skills in Bahasa and English
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English
- Ability to manage targets and priorities and develop own goals
- People Management skills and experience
- National, or holder of a valid work visa in Indonesia
- Fluency in any ASEAN language is strongly preferred.
- Willingness to travel within the region
- Experience working with local communities, NGO and public sectors
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.