South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
Within the CAC Practice, the CAC Advisory team has the function to provide bespoke advisory services to help our clients understand the voluntary carbon markets and develop environmental strategies that have a positive impact through offsetting, insetting and other actions that contribute towards global environmental goals through “beyond value chain” mitigation. The aim is to drive uptake and build a market around Climate Actions Credits.
The goal of the Principal Consultant is to lead this team and define and develop a product offering in line with South Pole’s overall vision and strategy. You will ensure the timely delivery of highquality consultancy advice to international, regional and local clients on topics related to the Climate Actions Credits for the corporate sector. You will be fully accountable for the development and overall management of proposals on Climate Action Credits as well as for the implementation of projects, for which you will supervise various multi-stakeholders project teams from Europe, NAM and APAC.
You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client. You will also leverage your vast technical expertise to drive business development activities and generate new leads. In addition, you will contribute to the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead the development of the services and products of the practice in alignment with South Pole’s vision and strategy
- Lead the planning, management and execution of consulting mandates on CAC (which include highly complex mandates) to ensure the most efficient and highest quality implementation
- As a senior expert, provide supervision, guidance on and technical leadership in international consulting mandates and proposals, as well as lead their technical review
- Develop new consulting business opportunities and collaborate closely with the Key Account Management team
- Provide content related support across the Curated and Integrated Certificates Practice team - eg. to provide vision and direction to the API, Click and labels teams
- Coordinate the work of the different regional CAC teams, as well as stakeholders from other teams (Portfolio Offering, Climate Policy, Finance and Carbon Markets, KAMs)
- Interact and build relationships with our local and international clients, and contribute to the winning and timely delivery of consulting mandates
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Lead the development of South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- Lead and directly manage small teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multigeographies context
- Participate in business strategy and leadership-relevant internal discussions to position our consulting activities within South Pole's overall business and offering
- The topics of engagement will focus on offsetting strategies, long term CAC procurement options, voluntary carbon markets and compliance markets, Climate Policy
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in Environmental Sciences or Engineering, Economics or other sustainability-related disciplines
- Relevant knowledge of environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies including target setting and sustainability roadmaps
- Subject matter work experience in sustainability consulting or a related field, including: offsetting strategies, target setting (SBTs), net-zero strategies, offsetting project development
- Excellent technical project supervision skills and ability to guide project teams
- Excellent stakeholder and client management skills, including ability to lead contract negotiations
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders
- Deep understanding of environmental sustainability challenges and specific consultancy experience in the relevant areas of the practice
- Commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Leadership and strategic management experience
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with specific communication experience to senior decision makers (such as C-Suite) and across a range of stakeholders
- Practical experience in sustainability/climate change strategy development, GHG management, stakeholder engagement and change management
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage
- Practical experience in change management and sustainability strategy development
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Diligent, reliable and proactive
- Fully comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.