South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Marketing and Communications teams are the key ambassadors of our corporate brand. From overseeing the way in which we approach our clients and showcase our products and services, to positioning South Pole as a global thought leader in the fight for climate action, we sharpen and strengthen our brand positioning and multiply our impact in the market through our strong value proposition. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The Advocacy Director will reinforce one of South Pole’s five strategic business goals: effective advocacy that raises South Pole’s thought leadership profile to become a “global change agent for a no-nonsense transition” by developing and advocating for priority policy positions internally and externally.
The candidate will have an excellent understanding of external policy discussions on climate finance and carbon markets, including the UNFCCC Paris Agreement and Article 6, emerging carbon market governance initiatives (such as VCMI and ICVCM) and a good understanding of key issues related to emerging sectors and technologies (such as nature-based and technological removals).
To advocate effectively, the candidate will engage with internal and external stakeholders to understand the key issues that shape voluntary corporate governance and action, develop key positions that represent and align with South Pole’s values and goals, and then find strategic ways to advocate these positions externally, including potentially forming and maintaining partnerships with key multilateral platforms.
The candidate will sit in the Communications Team, report to the Head of Public Affairs and work across business lines - and particularly with the South Pole policy team - to ensure strategic alignment of South Pole’s business with its advocacy and thought leadership efforts.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Head of Public Affairs, South Pole business units and experts to identify business-critical technical and/or policy issues (specifically around voluntary corporate action)
- Coordinate with relevant business units to develop robust corporate positions that reflect South Pole’s perspective in bringing solutions to these issues, thereby raising the company’s thought-leadership profile internally and externally
- Work collaboratively with the business units, policy team, Head of Public Affairs and Communications and Marketing teams to develop advocacy strategies, including key priorities, target issues, potential partnerships and target fora and countries shaping climate finance and policy
- Coordinate with internal experts to advocate South Pole’s position in external associations and conferences; including supporting (but not leading) the Climate Policy, Finance and Carbon Markets team, Regional Leads and Climate Investments teams' efforts on advocating South Pole position to external fora.
- Speak with media on key issues related to South Pole positions, as requested.
- Master’s degree or higher in climate policy, finance and carbon markets or other relevant field
- Extensive work experience in climate policy, finance and carbon markets or other relevant field
- A proven track record of advocacy and lobbying with governments and/or the private sector on climate change, carbon markets, and sustainability topics, with at least 5 years of experience in this field
- Recognised expert in external fora that South Pole engages with, such as International Emissions Trading Alliance, International Carbon Reduction and Offsetting Alliance, and World Business Council on Sustainable Development
- Excellent technical skills with the ability to listen and respond to inputs from across the business
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills to effectively communicate to a range of audiences
- Excellent organizational, prioritization, and time management skills, with a proven ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, growing global organization
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Passion for working with climate and sustainability topics
- Other European languages (French, Spanish, etc.) are a plus
- Experience in consultancy services
- Experience with Google Workspace
- Willingness for occasional travel to key events
- Experience working in an international and multicultural context
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.