South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Marketing and Communications teams are the key ambassadors of our corporate brand. From overseeing the way in which we approach our clients and showcase our products and services, to positioning South Pole as a global thought leader in the fight for climate action, we sharpen and strengthen our brand positioning and multiply our impact in the market through our strong value proposition. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The Head of Public Affairs will reinforce one of South Pole’s five strategic business goals: effective advocacy that raises South Pole’s thought leadership profile to become a “global change agent for a no-nonsense transition” by developing and communicating priority issues/policies/standpoints both internally and externally.
The candidate will have an excellent understanding of external discussions on sustainability issues, particularly as it pertains to governance around climate change, climate finance and carbon markets.
To advocate effectively, the candidate will engage with internal and external stakeholders to understand the key issues that shape voluntary corporate governance and action, develop key positions that represent and align with South Pole’s values and goals, and then find strategic ways to advocate these positions externally.
The candidate will report directly to the Director of Global Communications and work across business lines - and particularly with Senior Management - to ensure strategic alignment of South Pole’s business with its advocacy and thought leadership efforts. The candidate will lead the bi-weekly Public Affairs Committee (PAC), which includes the South Pole CEO.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Effectively identify business-critical technical and/or policy issues (specifically around voluntary corporate action) through speaking with South Pole business units and experts who engage in main external associations and forums
- Coordinate with South Pole’s executive leadership and relevant business units to develop robust corporate positions that reflect South Pole’s perspective in bringing solutions to these issues, thereby raising the company’s thought-leadership profile internally and externally
- Work collaboratively with the Communications and Marketing teams to develop materials (e.g briefings, newsletters, internal webinars) to effectively communicate these thought positions internally and externally
- Coordinate with internal experts to advocate South Pole position in external associations and conferences; including supporting (but not leading) the Climate Policy, Finance and Carbon Markets team and Regional Leads efforts’ on advocating South Pole position to external fora
- Manage the bi-weekly PAC meeting to make executive decisions on key agenda items pertaining to (PAC). It will be his/her responsibility to spearhead, coordinate and track the efforts of implementing PAC decisions
- Speak with media on key issues related to South Pole positions, as requested
- Master’s degree or higher in climate policy, finance and carbon markets or other relevant field
- Over 12 years of relevant work experience in climate policy, finance and carbon markets or other relevant field
- Recognised expert in external forums that South Pole engages with, such as International Emissions Trading Expert, International Carbon Reduction and Offsetting Alliance, and World Business Council on Sustainable Development
- A proven track record of providing advice to governments and/or the private sector on climate change, carbon markets, and sustainability topics, with several years of experience in this field
- Excellent technical skills with the ability to listen and respond to inputs from across the business
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills to effectively communicate to all audiences
- Excellent organizational, prioritization, and time management skills, with a proven ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, growing global organization
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Passion for working with climate and sustainability topics
- Other European languages (French, Spanish, etc.) are a plus
- Experience in consultancy services
- Experience with Google Workspace
- Willingness for occasional travel to key events
- Experience working in an international and multicultural context
- Language skills in addition to English
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.