The purpose of this role is to lead South Pole's Structured Carbon Deals business activities. In this senior leadership role, you are responsible for all structured carbon project finance opportunities. Within the Climate projects business line, you are leading all large, long-term and/or complex carbon credit transactions with both public and private sector market actors, and you are overseeing all aspects of business development, client relationship management, contract negotiations, and deal closing.
You will develop and continually update South Pole's vision for the Climate Projects business line in alignment with the Company's overall ambition and strategy. Through your vision and leadership, you will inspire our multifaceted teams worldwide to drive business growth and increase our market share while powerfully impacting the communities around us and the climate action movement as a whole.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Develop, define, and lead the Climate Project business line strategy for Structured Carbon Deals
- Align with the global technology directors on a strategy for the sourcing of commercialisation of carbon projects
- Structure and close long-term, complex and strategic carbon credit deals with both public and private sector clients
- Build and educate a high-performing team of experts in all global markets
- Implement efficient internal processes, establish business performance targets and metrics, and be accountable for the overall performance of the Structured Carbon Deals team
- Align with the Climate Solutions and Climate Investment business lines on target clients and cross-selling opportunities
- Contribute to the global annual strategy, planning and budgeting processes
- Lead the business development work of the team: develop a list of potential clients in key industries defined within the team's mandate
- Partner closely with the Climate Portfolio Management business line to align on portfolio optimisation targets
- Serve as an environmental markets expert in client meetings, exhibitions and other corporate events and represent South Pole in different forums on the topic of environmental markets
Essential skills and experience
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience, including several years of experience in business development roles within the sustainability sector, as well as in global leadership roles
- Deep knowledge and expertise in environmental markets, voluntary carbon markets as well as compliance markets
- General understanding of the carbon project cycle from the assessment to development and carbon credits certification
- Good understanding of main carbon pricing mechanisms and international climate policies context as well as ART.6 mechanism under the Paris Agreement.
- Experience in establishing clear performance targets and metrics, with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding challenging targets
- Strategic mindset, with the ability to establish a compelling vision for our Business Development function
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to structure and negotiate deals that are commercially sound and profitable for South Pole
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to partner effectively with key internal and external stakeholders
- Outstanding financial and planning skills, with experience leading strategy and budgeting processes
- Strong quantitative skills and the ability to use data and metrics to inform decisions
- Experience managing cross-functional, high-performing, diverse, remote and global teams
- Outstanding leadership skills, with the ability to inspire action and get the best out of people
- Comfortable operating globally in a fast-paced, high-growth international environment.