South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of this Principal Consultant role is to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy mandates on sustainability topics for corporate clients with agricultural value chains, which includes (but not limited to) sectors like food & beverage, fashion & retail, cosmetics and agricultural trading/processing sectors.
You will be fully accountable for the development and overall management of proposals, as well as for the implementation of projects in these sectors, for which you will supervise various project teams. You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client.
You will also leverage your vast technical expertise to drive business development activities and generate new leads. In addition, you will contribute to the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges for these sectors.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead the planning, management and supervision of complex and large consulting mandates to support companies with agricultural value chains in building or strengthening their climate, water, forests and biodiversity strategies in their agricultural value chains to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- As a senior expert, provide supervision, guidance on and technical leadership in international consulting mandates and proposals, as well as lead their technical review, being responsible for the final quality of deliverables and upskilling the team
- Interact and build relationships with our local and international clients and contribute to business development in close collaboration with the Key Account Management team, which is the team at South Pole responsible for generating new leads.
- Lead and directly manage teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Participate in business strategy and leadership-relevant internal discussions to position our consulting activities within South Pole's overall business and offering. As the senior AVC person in the region, you will be responsible for developing and executing the AVC strategy locally together with the Director for Climate Strategies and Regional Leads
- Lead the development of South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings on the practice.
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Topics of engagement may include: support companies in understanding their climate impact (GHG accounting), develop strategies to address their footprint, deep dive into climate, water, biodiversity and forest-related impact of specific commodities by calculating impacts and determining key actions to mitigate them, insetting/ value chain interventions, supplier engagement, sustainable sourcing
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field in Environmental Sciences, Agronomy, Environmental Engineering or related disciplines
- Relevant knowledge of environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies, especially with the integration of sustainability in supply chains and agriculture
- Extensive work experience leading team and setting strategic direction, experience in corporate consulting at least for part of their career
- Specific consultancy experience in sustainability with a particular focus on climate (must), water, biodiversity and forests in agricultural supply chains or working closely with consumer goods companies
- Excellent technical project supervision skills and ability to guide project teams
- Excellent stakeholder and client management skills, including the ability to lead client conversations and understand client needs
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Commercial skills and good business sense to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Leadership and strategic management experience
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with specific communication experience with senior decision-makers (such as C-Suite) and across a range of stakeholders
- Practical experience in and knowledge of:
- Monitoring and quantification of climate, water, biodiversity and forests impacts along agricultural supply chain, including corporate greenhouse gas accounting, land use change modeling, product environmental footprint, life cycle assessment, water footprinting, geographic information systems (GIS) monitoring of deforestation risks
- Empowering clients to set ambitious climate, water and biodiversity targets aligned with science, such as the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), SBTi for Forest, Land and Agriculture (FLAG), and Science Based Targets for Nature (SBTN)
- Devising mitigation strategies and undertaking scenario analysis to support clients in creating an implementation roadmap that is practicable and economically feasible for meeting their environmental goals.
- Supporting clients to implement practical actions such as supplier engagement programmes, establishing traceability, value chain interventions, regenerative agriculture practices, agroforestry etc to mitigate their environmental impacts
- Change management and sustainability strategy design
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Diligent, reliable and proactive
- Fully comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
- Used to work in a fast-paced environment across different cultures and geographies and comfortable with changes
- Comfortable working in a low hierarchical environment with a strong collaborative working style
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.