South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Managing Consultant is to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy advice to international, regional and local clients on sustainability topics for the corporate sector.
You will be accountable for the development and overall management of proposals on renewable energy solutions, as well as for the implementation of projects, for which you will supervise small project teams. You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client. In addition, you will contribute to the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Responsibility for performing analyses related to European power and renewable wholesale power markets as well as wider renewable energy solutions
- Carry out topical research to help clients understand renewable energy drivers, trends, competitive landscape, and opportunities
- Deliver insights through written reports, presentations, and client interactions
- Manage and supervise medium- to large-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- Interact and build relationships with our international, regional and local clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates
- Develop proposals for the corporate sector on renewable energy solutions with the Key Account Management team and with senior consulting professionals to support business development activities for the company
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Support the practice team in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- Lead and directly manage small teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Topics of engagement may include: Global corporate renewable energy sourcing strategies and roadmaps, scope 1 renewable energy strategies, renewable energy target setting, energy attribute certificates, green tariffs, corporate PPAs, on-site renewables, RE100/SBT compliance and CDP/RE100 reporting, supply chain engagement
- Several years experience in power markets, renewable energy or working in industry (e.g. utility, corporate, project developer), government, research or consulting
- A university degree in topics such as energy markets, engineering, economics, statistics or industry-related fields required
- Strong understanding of power markets
- Strong commercial skills and good business sense, the ability to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Advanced skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and preferably also German (mother tongue or equivalent)
- Graduate degree with quantitative experience preferred
- Deep understanding of European and specifically Germany/DACH electricity markets
- Understanding of the challenges faced by multinational companies undertaking the transition to Renewable Energy
- Sound understanding of gas markets
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Diligent, reliable and proactive
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
- Experience in any or numerous of the below:
- Energy Attribute Certificates
- Biomethane markets
- Renewable investments
- Energy efficiency
- Green hydrogen
- Electrification of processes
- Onsite renewable appraisals
- Biofuels market
We are reviewing and shortlisting applications on a rolling basis with interviews expected to take place in December.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.