South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Managing Consultant is to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy advice to international, regional and local, e.g. international and British clients on sustainability topics for the corporate sector. You will be accountable for the development and overall management of proposals on greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting services and climate change mitigation solutions as well as for the implementation of projects, for which you will supervise small project teams. You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client. In addition, you will contribute to the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise medium- to large-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- Interact and build relationships with our international, regional and local, e.g. international and British clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates
- Develop proposals for the corporate sector on greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting services and climate change mitigation solutions with the Key Account Management team and with senior consulting professionals to support business development activities for the company
- Provide guidance on and technical leadership in developing proposals and implementing advisory projects, as well as lead their technical review
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Support the practice team in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- Lead and directly manage small teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- The topics of engagement will focus on GHG Accounting and disclosure, Plastics Footprint, and Water Footprint. Occasionally, some projects might extend to additional corporate sustainability topics such as:
- Climate change mitigation
- Science Based Targets (SBTs)
- Materiality assessment
- Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field. Ideally in, Environmental Sciences or Engineering, Economics or other sustainability-related disciplines
- Relevant knowledge of environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies
- Several years of relevant work experience in sustainability consulting or related field
- Specific consultancy experience for corporate clients in the following areas: GHG accounting in line with best practice methodologies;
- LCA / Scope 3 emissions accounting
- Target setting (SBTs)
- Disclosure (e.g. CDP, TCFD)
- Benchmarking/materiality assessment
- Advanced project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Proven expertise in autonomously creating high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders
- Practical experience in sustainability/climate change strategy development; energy efficiency / GHG management; climate change scenario analysis and risk and opportunity assessment (for either/both of physical and transition risks and in line with TCFD); and stakeholder engagement and change management
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Diligent, reliable, proactive and self-sufficient but collaborative approach to work
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Advanced prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.