South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Portfolio Management team oversees and develops business for the sale and trading of carbon credits and Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). By working collaboratively with both our internal Sales and Projects teams, we play a crucial role in balancing the demand and supply of certificates, in order to best match the needs of our clients with our sourcing capabilities. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
South Pole is looking for a Business Analyst (BA) to strengthen our Climate Project’s team and play a key role in conceptualising and assessing business opportunities arising out of climate policy developments. The BA will ensure the timely delivery of high-quality case assessments for senior management and board consideration.
The goal of the BA is to support the Head of Compliance Market Sales and the Procurement & Trading team in the preparation of proposals and the development of new emerging opportunities for South Pole arising out of or in connection to compliance schemes. This includes a variety of tasks such as policy analysis, market research, data analysis, and writing deliverables and proposals on climate change policies and environmental markets.
The BA will be part of a growing team of analysts willing to cover the developments on climate change policies around the world, providing also knowledge-sharing opportunities for the entire organisation.
Short-listed candidates will have a very good understanding of global climate policy, a commercial background, and prior experience working in strategic advice and business development.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Gather market intelligence and identify trends to decarbonize different industries aiming and mandatory needing to reach NetZero goals
- Support with the development and improvement of specialised skills, tools, and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Support business development activities through desktop research and developing materials to be pitched internally
- Support in preparing presentations or lead the preparation and completion of proposals/deliverables for the Climate Projects Board on environmental emerging markets
- Contribute to the data, policy, and market analysis by assessing the latest climate policy developments
- Manage and contribute to the compliance market sales overview, following country reviews and reviewing the set criteria to prioritise business cases
- Ensure assigned tasks/projects are delivered on time and at the highest possible quality
- Topics of engagement may include: Environmental Markets including but not limited to Carbon Market Instruments, Climate policy implementation, CORSIA advisory, and carbon offset procurement strategies, as well as topics on climate mitigation and innovative financing solutions, policy and commercial recommendations to enable South Pole o to broaden its portfolio offering to help achieve the NetZero goal of private and public entities.
- Master's degree, ideally in Finance, Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Political Sciences, or related disciplines
- Relevant knowledge of Climate policy, carbon markets, climate finance, and/or corporate sustainability
- Awareness of current national and international policy developments with regard to climate change and sustainable development
- Ability to conduct research tasks, analyse and summarise data
- Ability to manage small projects in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Good writing skills, with the ability to create high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Ability to interact effectively with clients, collaborators, or other relevant stakeholders
- An autonomous yet collaborative approach to work
- Excellent oral and written skills in English, and knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- Relevant work experience (the expectation is a minimum 1 year) in business development, consulting, or a related field and confidence in contact with different stakeholders
- Demonstrable interest in working on climate change mitigation projects, programs, or instruments across sectors and technologies.
- Strong analytical skills and mindset
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Diligent, reliable, and proactive
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Good prioritisation and time management skills
- Good written and spoken skill in other languages is advantageous
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.