South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The South Pole Finance and Legal team is looking for a motivated and talented Middle Office Risk Manager to head up the Middle Office of the Trading and Procurement team to assist with the establishment and further build out our activities in the carbon market.
Your focus will be on further developing, building and maintaining a suite of risk reporting tools, such as but not limited to position and P&L reports, stress and scenario tests, as well as developing a broader market risk framework together with the Procurement and Trading team. You will also continuously develop/ improve existing processes and procedures to further optimise the way of working to scale the trading division within South Pole.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Together with your Middle Office team, you are responsible for creating a team that can: (Monitor) daily reconciliation of positions, transactions, profit & loss calculations, fees & invoices;
- (Monitor) settlement of transactions via exchanges, brokers or other channels;
- Analysing and resolving root causes for issues in the Middle Office process, continuously improving the operation;
- Responsible for running a smooth Middle Office operation with a team, ensuring reliable service to the trading teams;
- Responsible for ensuring Middle Office processes are dealt with timely with high-quality standards;
- Setting and delivering on high service levels towards stakeholders in trading, technology and the rest of business, as well as externally
- Develop, build and maintain processes and systems to manage trading activity on an increasing number of commodity exchanges;
- Further build on a broader market risk framework including but not limited to position limits, stop-loss limits, etc.
- Develop robust MO/risk reporting tools to enable further scaling of our trading team and reporting:
- (Further) develop and enhance P&L reports, Position reports, Stress tests, Scenario tests, Value at Risk reports
- Provide senior management with regular reports on key performance and risk metrics
- Perform and present regularly ad-hoc analyses for senior management
- Critically monitor and report on trading strategies and performance as executed by the commercial staff
- Run / manage MO-related projects aimed at further innovating and automating the function, continuously improving operations into highly automated operations;
- Develop, motivate and inspire the MO team, develop the team members individually, and increase the effectiveness, efficiency and quality of the team. Further, professionalise market risk measurement and control within the company.
- Post-degree qualification, preferably CFA, Chartered Accountant or equivalent mathematics qualification.
Must have extensive performance delivery experience in a similar role, preferably at a (commodity) trading desk of a bank, trading company, or investment firm is essential
- Experience in carbon markets and or renewables is ideal
- You have experience with leading a team, but you are also hands-on when it comes to understanding, improving and executing Middle Office processes such as PnL calculations, reconciliations and other reporting;
- In-depth knowledge of Middle Office processes is key to successfully managing the team;
- Excellent communication skills and strong commercial awareness
- Able to exert positive influence in a fast-growing organisation, be a strong collaborator and communicator
- Entrepreneurial and proactive mindset, willingness to take initiative
- You are result-driven, analytical and highly data-driven;
- Fluency in English is required
- Passionate about the climate and sustainability
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.