Climate Projects Technology Strategy Associate Director – REDD+ Projects
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
This role aims to lead the South Pole's Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation Projects (REDD+ Projects) practice within the Climate Projects Strategy unit. The REDD+ Projects practice includes numerous project activities within the area of forestry that are related to the avoided emissions from deforestation and forest degradation. This position will design and implement a global strategy for originating REDD+ Projects that address the drivers of forest loss with Project Partners throughout the world. These newly protected forests can be used for the delivery of CACs (VERs), timber revenues, NTFPs, and potentially other types of certificates as applicable (biodiversity credits).
Reporting to the Climate Projects Global Technology Senior Strategy Director - NBS, this role is accountable for overseeing the global strategy for the REDD+ Project technology type but will work in synergy with the NBS team on all the Technology Strategies. To effectively achieve these goals will require the assumption of a significant leadership role within the company.
The global strategies for the REDD+ Projects technology will be coordinated with regional directors, local experts, and other Practice Directors to ensure strategic alignment across all the business lines within South Pole. In addition, the job will develop and continually update South Pole's REDD+ Projects Strategy, to ensure continued alignment with the Climate Projects business line. Through strategic vision, expertise and leadership, this position will inspire our multifaceted teams worldwide to source and secure high-quality carbon emission reduction projects, advisory mandates, and investment opportunities that powerfully impact the communities around them and the climate action movement.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Define, own, communicate and deliver on the global strategy for REDD+ Projects, and closely align with the company’s global goals and objectives
- Serve as an expert advisor for REDD+ project-related activities within the Climate Projects team, both in the global South and in targeted industrialised countries like the US, Australia, and New Zealand
- Establish business performance targets and metrics and be accountable to assist the regions in implementing the practices
- Contribute to the global annual strategy and collaborate with other Strategy Directors to achieve results and targets
- Drive and take accountability for REDD+ Project practice deliverables for all the company’s relevant environmental market products such as carbon credits and potentially other environmental products
- Work with the Global Partnership unit to lead and structure long-term, complex, and strategic partnerships and deal with different stakeholders to support the regions to deploy the strategy to meet the quarterly and yearly goals of the REDD+ Project practice
- Maintain and develop a network of partners, companies, investors, businesses, and communities active in the sectors
- Partner closely with other functions, particularly with the Regions, the Innovation team, the Technical team (PDME-Project Design, Management & Evaluation), Partnership, and Expansion, to optimise and align the strategy
- Lead the collaboration for REDD+ Project work with other business lines such as the teams of Structured Carbon Deals, Corporate Investments, and Climate Investment and Platforms
- Gather market intelligence and identify industry trends in the REDD+ Project practice, and identify and understand the market players and competitors
- Serve as a subject expert when required in client meetings, exhibitions and other corporate events and represent South Pole in different forums on the topic of REDD+ Projects, NBS and environmental markets
- Drive innovation and entrepreneurship through leadership and decisive action within the global strategy team, including assessing potential projects/companies for equity investments for consideration by the investment board and proposing potential corporate innovations to the investment board or to the South Pole regions
- Catalyse the creation of high-performing and entrepreneurial teams within the strategy team and global regions to lead and execute the REDD+ Projects strategy, while achieving South Pole’s profitability goals and quality standards
- Work closely with colleagues across the organisation to empower matrixed teams that deliver on our vision of climate action for all.
- University degree in Forestry, Conservation, Public Policy, Environmental Sciences, Business, or other relevant discipline
- Subject matter expertise, including several years of experience in business and/or project development roles within the REDD+ Project sector, or specifically in the topics of NBS to remove carbon emissions
- Previous entrepreneurial experience in the Voluntary Carbon Market, a highly innovative climate change sector, a technology company or a start-up ecosystem
- Know-how of global corporate best practices related to climate strategies, such as the Science Based Targets Initiative and Net Zero pledges
- Experience in establishing clear performance targets and metrics, with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding challenging targets
- Strategic and entrepreneurial mindset, with the ability to establish a compelling vision for the REDD+ Project Strategy within the NBS Strategy unit
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to structure and negotiate deals that are commercially sound and profitable for South Pole
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to partner effectively with key internal and external stakeholders
- Strong quantitative skills and the ability to use data and metrics to inform decisions
- Excellent leadership skills, with the ability to inspire action and get the best out of people
- Ability to present ideas to executive/internal stakeholders regionally and globally
- Ability to work on global and regional complex issues
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Fluency in English
- Experience in scaling up a fast-growing organisation in the context of a highly competitive market environment
- Expertise in Voluntary Carbon Market, carbon emission projects and standards
- Expertise in the forestry, conservation or international development sectors
- Experience in pipeline development, CRM, Excel and similar tools
- Experience in negotiating with public institutions or governments.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
- Project Sourcing
- Amsterdam, Berlin, Bogotá, Flexible location in the US, London, Medellin, Mexico City, East Coast of the US
Life as a Penguin on the Iceberg
Health & WellbeingWe believe that health is central to happiness. We organise many wellbeing activities such as yoga, meditation sessions, sports groups, healthy snacks, active breaks, etc.
Work-life balanceFrom flexible working hours to flexible workplace (home office), with above-average vacation allowances, we strive to make the work and family life puzzle an easy one for our employees.
We practice what we preachFrom Vegan Days to plastic-free lunches, off-setting our own Company emissions and countless other initiatives, we fully live our values and lead by example on a daily basis.
Company outings and eventsIt is not only hard work, we also have lots of fun! We frequently get together to celebrate our successes, do activities together and get to know each other better
What makes us unique
At South Pole, we are first and foremost a purpose-driven Company. People join us because they believe in our mission and want to be part of a community that fights together for our shared values and beliefs. But that is not the only reason why working at South Pole is such a rewarding experience.
- We know that our vision to help create a greener world is both bold and challenging. To achieve it, we settle for nothing less than the absolute best. We form a Community that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
- Entrepreneurial at heart. It’s not just our founders who are entrepreneurs. We actively promote an innovative mindset at all levels of the organisation, where each and every employee is encouraged to challenge the status quo and empowered to make decisions.
- Growing employees in a growing company. With a team of smart, passionate and engaged colleagues, as well as increasing demand from our clients, opportunities to learn, develop our skills and grow our careers are endless.
- All for one, and one for all! Above all other things, what truly drives our dedication and commitment to our purpose is our colleagues. We learn from each other and grow together. Because that is who Penguins are.
About South Pole
At South Pole, we work with businesses and governments across the globe. We help realise deep decarbonisation pathways across industries, based on a thorough understanding of climate risks and opportunities in specific sectors, as well as the highest emission reduction standards. Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Climate Projects Technology Strategy Associate Director – REDD+ Projects
Loading application form
Already working at South Pole?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.