South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Consultant is to support the implementation of international, regional and local projects; you will play a leading role in the development and overall management of proposals, as well as in the implementation of projects advising corporate clients to help them understand and quantify their climate risks and opportunities. You will be the main point of contact for the client and may also act as a collaborator, providing specific inputs or serving a specific role on a mandate. You will help manage small teams with medium-sized and large mandates. In addition, you will support the development of new products and solutions for the corporate sector at South Pole to address sustainability challenges, with a focus on climate-related risks and opportunities.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage medium-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure.
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation.
- Interact and build relationships with our international, regional and local clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates.
- Develop proposals for the corporate sector on TCFD and climate-related risks and opportunities in close collaboration with the Key Account Management team and senior consulting professionals to support business development activities for the company.
- For small advisory projects, occasionally provide high-level technical guidance and perform technical review of proposals and deliverables.
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole.
- Support senior consulting and key account management teams in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings.
- Topics of engagement may include: gap analysis against TCFD requirements; climate change scenario analysis (in line with the TCFD recommendations); identification and analysis of physical / transition climate change risks and opportunities; and development of business resilience strategies.
- University degree, ideally in Environmental Science/Engineering, Economics, Business, or other sustainability-related disciplines.
- Relevant knowledge of climate science and policies, as well as environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies.
- Good understanding of core elements of GHG accounting / carbon footprinting and corporate emission footprints.
- Relevant work experience (the expectation is minimum of 3 years) in sustainability consulting or a related field, including experience for corporate clients in one or more of the following areas: TCFD alignment; climate scenario analysis; GHG accounting in line with best practice methodologies; target-setting (SBTs); environmental policy analysis; sustainability reporting (CDP, TCFD, EU Taxonomy, CSRD etc).
- Strong analytical skills and mindset.
- Ability to conduct research tasks, analyse and summarise data.
- Ability to manage small projects in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context.
- Good project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and ability to coordinate project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context.
- Excellent writing skills in English [and other local language] with proven expertise in creating high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables).
- Good stakeholder and client management skills.
- Good understanding of environmental sustainability challenges and specific consultancy experience in the relevant areas of the practice.
- Autonomous yet collaborative approach to work.
- A Master’s degree or wider training in a sustainability or business/economics/finance related discipline.
- Practical experience in GHG accounting, risk management, modelling (financial, environmental, etc), sustainability/climate change strategy development, energy efficiency/ GHG management, target setting (SBTs / NZ), and/or disclosure (e.g. CDP, TCFD).
- Knowledge of the energy sector and current / future developments will be an advantage.
- Strong quantitative skills (data analysis/visualisation and advanced Excel a bonus).
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word and Excel.
- Diligent, reliable and proactive.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment.
- Good prioritisation and time management skills.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.