South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of this Managing Consultant role is to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy mandates on sustainability topics for corporate clients with agricultural value chains, which includes (but not limited to) sectors like food & beverage, fashion & retail, cosmetics and agricultural trading/processing sectors. You will be accountable for the development and overall management of proposals, as well as for the implementation of projects in these sectors, for which you will supervise various project teams. You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client. In addition, you will contribute to the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges for these sectors.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise medium- to large-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure.
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation.
- Interact and build relationships with our international, regional and local clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates.
- Develop proposals for the corporate sector on Agricultural Value Chain with the Key Account Management team and with senior consulting professionals to support business development activities for the company.
- Provide guidance on and technical leadership in developing proposals and implementing advisory projects, as well as lead their technical review.
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole.
- Support the AVC practice in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings.
- Lead and directly manage teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context.
- Topics of engagement may include: support companies in understanding their climate impact (GHG accounting), develop strategies to address their environmental footprint, deep dive into climate, water, biodiversity and forest-related impact of specific commodities by calculating impacts and determining key actions to mitigate them, insetting/ value chain interventions, supplier engagement, sustainable sourcing.
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field. Environmental Sciences, Agronomy, Environmental Engineering or related disciplines
- Relevant knowledge of environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies, especially with the integration of sustainability in supply chains and agriculture
- Relevant work experience in sustainability consulting or related field.
- Specific consultancy experience in sustainability with a particular focus on climate (must), water, biodiversity and forests in agricultural supply chains or working closely with consumer goods companies on these topics.
- Advanced project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context.
- Proven expertise in autonomously creating high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables).
- Advanced stakeholder and client management skills.
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and Japanese.
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word.
- Practical experience in and knowledge of:
- Monitoring and quantification of climate, water, biodiversity and forests impacts along agricultural supply chain, including corporate greenhouse gas accounting, land use change modelling, product environmental footprint, life cycle assessment, water footprinting, geographic information systems (GIS) monitoring of deforestation risks
- Empowering clients to set ambitious climate, water and biodiversity targets aligned with science, such as the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), SBTi for Forest, Land and Agriculture (FLAG), and Science Based Targets for Nature (SBTN)
- Devising mitigation strategies and undertaking scenario analysis to support clients in creating an implementation roadmap that are practicable and economically feasible for meeting their environmental goals.
- Supporting clients to implement practical actions such as supplier engagement programmes, establishing traceability, value chain interventions, regenerative agriculture practices, agroforestry etc to mitigate their environmental impacts
- Change management and sustainability strategy design
- Understanding of one or more agricultural commodity systems, such as: coffee, cocoa, livestock, soybean, palm oil, sugar, cotton, rubber, wheat, corn, rice
- Knowledge of one or more Asian languages (Thai, Behasa Indonesian, Mandarin Chinese etc)
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders
- Diligent, reliable and proactive
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
- Used to work in a fast paced environment across different cultures and geographies and comfortable with changes
- Comfortable to work in a low hierarchical environment with a strong collaborative working style
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.