South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a Manager of Climate Projects Business Line, you will coordinate with the PDI team to implement new Nature-Based Solutions strategies and complement the projects implementation approach for the timely and effective generation and delivery of emission ecosystem services enhancements. Reporting directly to the Senior Manager, Project Implementation, Africa, or the person who is delegated, you will support the supervision and implementation of project activities. You will be responsible for successful Nature-Based Solutions projects implementation, own-risk investments management, and ensuring the project owners agree with the framework of the project implementation phases. Additionally, you will be responsible for stakeholder relationship management and promoting the permanence and technical evaluation to ensure medium/long-term project management.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Support all the necessary due diligence activities (risk assessment, implementation models, etc) to ensure South Pole investment.
- Working closely with Project Development, and sourcing teams responsible for client relationships on submission of implementation proposals to project proponents.
- Working with external partners to develop project investment in the implementation and liaising with other members of the PI team on project implementation financial and technical structuring (preparing of budgets and implementation models).
- Manage financial resources (own-risks investments or additional from partners) and implement Nature-Based Solutions for carbon and environmental credits generation.
- Report semi-annually to the board on implementations, budget needs, and management of new resources.
- Follow up with the internal procedures in our internal project management tool regarding all signed agreements.
- Leading project coordinators and overseeing compliance with commitments to partners and communities associated with the ongoing projects.
- Providing technical and development support by contracting projects. Identify possible partners and collaborators for the development of implementation projects.
- Ability to implement projects by keeping the supervisor and team informed on the progress of the project, responsible for ensuring the quality of deliverables and financial viability in the implementation of projects.
- Availability to interact with internal and external stakeholders associated with the projects.
- Planning and development of site visits and other types of business trips/training.
- Contributing to client presentations for each project implementation opportunity.
- A University degree in Natural Resources Management, Sustainability, Forestry engineer, Environmental Sciences, Biologist or related fields, ideally with evidence of a focus on sustainable financing strategies and management of investment funds. A Masters's degree would be an advantage.
- Several years of relevant work experience in Monitoring and Implementation experience, preferably in ecosystem services-related field.
- Affinity for working with rural communities (indigenous, and farmers) and excellent communication skills to manage relationships with them.
- Ability to create high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English. Spanish or Portuguese is an advantage.
- Proven ability to work across multiple teams, in multi-disciplinary projects Capacity to solve relatively complex project-related problems independently, and receive general direction on new assignments or project strategy and planning.
- Ability to think ahead and plan strategic guidelines and steps for internal processes.
- Knowledge of and experience in carbon, biodiversity, and ecosystem services project-based frameworks, standards, technologies, and project implementation processes
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.