South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The Legal & Compliance Team is looking for a motivated and talented Senior Legal Counsel to help further build out our trading activities in the carbon market, one of the world’s fastest developing commodity markets. This team operates globally from offices in Europe, the Americas and the Asia Pacific in a fast-growing company and focuses in particular on the carbon market. You will work as part of the Legal Team - EMEA and will be predominantly responsible for ensuring that the organization’s trading operations are conducted in compliance with legal requirements, company policies and ethical business practices. The Senior Legal Counsel acts as a business partner; provides legal support and advice specifically for the Procurement & Trading Team in EMEA. You’ll be responsible for answering trading-related inquiries, to onboarding and maintaining memberships on commodity trading exchanges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial, trading-related and financial derivative agreements;
- Developing a suite of standardized agreements for the carbon trading business;
- Providing business with general legal advice;
- Collaborating with and advising local and global business teams, including HR, risk management, and operations;
- Assisting with corporate housekeeping matters, due diligence and KYC matters;
- Active involvement in global procurement & trading and legal improvement projects;
- Monitoring developments and implementation of relevant new legislation;
- Delivering legal support on general, corporate or contract-related legal issues;
- Advising the business teams and legal management on privacy-related matters;
- Being a stakeholder in global initiatives for further standardizing agreements in the voluntary carbon markets;
- Lead South Pole legal representative with regards to trading activities on online platforms and exchanges, as well as financial derivatives such as futures on regulated exchanges (for example but not limited to ICE, CME), swaps, and options.
- A Master's degree in Law.
- Minimum of 5 - 7 years experience in a similar role in a law firm or (preferably) as in-house legal counsel at a merchant bank or commodity trading firm.
- Experience related to commodities/trading is required.
- Familiarity with the drafting of standard contract formats such as ISDAs , master agreements, ERPAs, or equivalent is required.
- Experience in carbon markets and or renewables is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and strong commercial awareness.
- Excellent contract drafting and negotiation skills.
- Being a flexible, proactive and self-driven professional.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Additional language skills in Spanish would be desirable.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.