South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a part of the Project Development & Implementation team, you will be accountable for the delivery of all milestones proposed for projects under the carbon and co-benefits standards (e.g. VCS, The Gold Standard, CCBS, Colombian Certification programs) and collaborate with other members of the Climate Projects unit around the world. You will be responsible for the design and development of carbon projects in the Forestry and Land Use sector, generating the technical analysis of the project opportunities and accompanying their development and generating periodical technical reports. In addition, you will be responsible for developing carbon estimations and delivering high-quality products (project documents, monitoring reports, and others) in English and Portuguese and will assist in the audit process for the validation and verification of GHG reductions. You will participate in business rounds, technical sessions, site visits, and other relevant events.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Responsible for the implementation and management of the emission reduction projects which includes leading/drafting feasibility studies and project design documents, validation, monitoring, reporting, and verification (MRV) support under different standards (The Gold Standard, VERRA, and national or local Standards) among other local and international carbon schemes
- Feasibility analysis on the opportunities that are pre-selected. Follow up on project opportunities and provide technical and business development support
- Conduct site visits and travel to project locations whenever needed
- Be a key point of contact and maintain a good relationship with the team members inside the company, project owners, clients, validation and verification bodies, and other counterparts
- Provide technical and business development support with project sourcing
- Follow up with the internal procedures in our internal project management tool regarding all signed Emission Reduction Purchase Agreements
- Prepare proposal and deliverables and finalize them to the quality required by South Pole and the client
- Define and plan content and structure to support the certification of the project: work plans, work schedules, budgets, and deliverables
- Schedule Technical Reviews and Quality Checks
- Ensure that all collaborators receive ongoing training and that they have the necessary skills and tools to perform their work
- Keep the team members (collaborators) informed of their progress in the project and remind them to stay within the time and budget agreed
- Draft invoices to be approved by the supervisor and sent to accounting for submission to clients
- Managing project owners' accounts in our internal project management tool
- Update proposal/project information in the project management tool and ensure all relevant documents are accessible on the drive at any time
- Keep general information, milestones, and cash flow in the project management software up to date
- Planning and development of site visits and other types of business trips/training
- Participate as a collaborator in some of the projects led by other Project Coordinators.
- University Degree in forestry, agriculture, natural resource management, sustainability or climate change, and carbon mitigation-related fields
- Several years of work experience in Forestry, Sustainability Consulting, Climate Change Mitigation/Adaptation, or related fields
- Ability to work on assignments that are diverse in nature, applying company policies, processes, and procedures to resolve a variety of issues/problems
- The capacity to solve relatively complex project-related problems independently, and receive general direction on new assignments or projects
- Ability to create high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English and Portuguese
- Have excellent communication skills, especially verbal and written skills in English and Portuguese
- Ability to manage targets and priorities and develop own goals
- National, or holder of a valid residency permit in the country of application.
- Knowledge of and experience in emission reduction accountability in Nature-Based solutions projects
- Project management experience
- Good statistical skills
- Experience working with local communities
- Knowledge of GIS and Remote Sensing
- Teams management experience.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.