South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
We are looking for an enthusiastic Legal Commercial Manager for LATAM and team leader to ensure consistent drafting and negotiation of our contracts in this region, showing pragmatic judgements on specific contract terms and being agile both in contract drafting or redlining and during counterpart facing negotiations. In this challenging role, you are working as part of the wider Global Legal and Compliance team and you will be instrumental in supporting the day-to-day review and negotiation of agreements with South Pole’s clients and partners, as well as supporting the further development of our negotiation acumen from a business partner’s perspective and to give feedback to improve our contractual practice.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead and develop a team of commercial legal counsel
- Act as a role model for this team, showing very strong legal skills used with pragmatism and business acumen, in the negotiation of contracts and in developing legal opinions
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of contacts (including NDAs, Services Agreements, Subcontracting Agreements, ERPAs) with relevant counterparties, acting as a real business partner, in compliance with our Group’s standard position
- Act as the regional escalation point for the Legal team in their negotiation of such contracts and report to the management in a timely and consistent manner
- Act as a trusted advisor to the business on all contractual and more general commercial matters, providing sound legal advice
- Train and provide guidance to businesses on contracting policies and procedures
- Support the various stakeholders on the interpretation of contracts, legal risk mitigation and resolution of disputes as required
- Be the regional point of contact for bottom-up escalation and top-down information, in compliance with our global group organisation
- A Master’s degree in Commercial Law obtained in a good standing university
- Extensive experience as a legal counsel, contract manager or related position
- Outstanding contract negotiation and drafting skills, with the ability to discuss complex issues in a clear and simple manner both in writing and verbally
- Experience working in an international environment
- Recognised business acumen and problem-solving skills
- Experience in leading and developing a small team
- Excellent written and oral command of English and Spanish
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time efficiently
- Ability to work on own initiative while following the processes in place in the department and in the wider group
- Excellent intercultural verbal and communication skills
- Good judgment in balancing business and commercial needs and potential risks/exposures with counterparty requirements
- Accurate and precise attention to details
- Business-centric approach, demonstrating a positive attitude and ability to be creative and propose alternatives under all circumstances
- Additional language skills (such as Portuguese) are of advantage
- Experience working with the legislation of different countries in Latin America is an advantage
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.