South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
Philanthropic and public sector funding partnerships that provide catalytic funding play an important role in enabling South Pole to carry out its mission to accelerate the transition to a climate-smart society. In 2022, our ambition as the Funding and Partnerships team is to deliver €11 million of funding from the philanthropic and public sectors for climate impact funds, multi-stakeholder action platforms and innovation projects that address investment barriers and accelerate climate action - and we have ambitious plans for growth for the next 5 years.
The Senior Fundraising and Partnerships Manager is a new role in the funding team to expand our fundraising capabilities in the European region.
As the Senior Fundraising and Partnerships Manager, you will have a key role in raising funds from the public sector and philanthropic funders to secure grants for South Pole’s climate impact funds and multi-stakeholder climate action platforms, and develop strategic partnerships for project development and/or other innovation topics. You will have overall responsibility for new business development with the public sector and philanthropies across the DACH region and for EU institutional fundraising, and will personally lead on business development and key account management for German public sector and philanthropic organisations, and EU fundraising.
You will also support two line reports in their fundraising and account management work across German, EU and Swiss public sector and philanthropic funders. You may also support other colleagues in the Fundraising and Partnerships team on opportunities and proposals across the rest of Europe and globally.
You will build on and develop your strong networks with national government agencies (with a focus on Germany), international organizations (including the EU), development banks, and development agencies in the European region. In this role, you will actively engage in building partnerships, networking and securing new funding as well as ensuring excellent account management and grant management of your portfolio of philanthropic and public sector donors, working to develop and deliver long-term, high-value strategic partnerships.
With an entrepreneurial outlook and drive, you will spot opportunities for funding and partnerships and bring together colleagues to realize the opportunities for South Pole and for climate action.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead on the development and delivery of the regional fundraising and partnership strategies for philanthropic and public sector donors in the DACH region, in close collaboration with DACH fundraising colleagues, bringing a particular focus personally to providing insights and inputs, researching and identifying prospective new donors in Germany.
- Scope and create a strategy for our approach to EU fundraising for South Pole, in collaboration with colleagues from within the Funding and Partnerships team and across the organisation.
- Lead on business development activities for your portfolio of prospects: proactively approaching prospective new funders; building strong relationships with your portfolio of funders, developing cultivation plans and creating opportunities to maximize income, impact and long-term strategic partnerships through excellent account management.
- Lead on ensuring excellent grant management, contracting and reporting for your portfolio of funders, working closely with colleagues across South Pole to ensure monitoring and evaluation meets the requirements of funders and conditions of all funding are complied with.
- Have line management responsibility for the Fundraising Manager based in Switzerland and the Public Sector Grant Specialist based in Germany.
- Building strong relationships with other teams within South Pole in order to understand their work, and to identify and build compelling cases for support.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the wider Funding and Partnerships Team strategy, working closely with other colleagues in the fundraising team.
- A bachelor's degree and extensive relevant work experience in fundraising or business development with Germany-based public sector and/or philanthropic funders.
- Demonstrated experience in leading business development activities to secure significant new income from German public sector institutions or philanthropies, including the ability to understand funders' needs, develop highly personalized relationships and provide excellent account management.
- Demonstrable experience in securing funding and building funding relationships, from researching prospects to generating meetings, and securing 6- and 7-figure grants.
- Fundraising experience in the area of climate change and with a focus on developing countries
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential funders, in particular German public sector funders.
- Previous experience in managing a team (internal and/or external collaborators)
- Entrepreneurial attitude with proven ability to spot and maximize opportunities for funding and partnerships; joining dots across different organizations and stakeholder groups.
- Outstanding written communication skills, with proven expertise in structuring persuasive cases for support, creating and delivering compelling presentations and high-quality written proposals and reports. Excellent oral and written command of English and German
- Ability to work independently and multi-task in a fast-paced environment, managing own time, deadlines and priorities in a small but growing team.
- Outstanding relationship builder and networker both internally and externally.
- Positive “can do” attitude and willingness to support others where needed and work across both high-level strategic tasks, as well as smaller administrative tasks.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for climate action and sustainable development.
- Experience with online databases and/or client relationship management tools such as Salesforce.
- Experience of working with Swiss philanthropic/public sector funders; experience of working with EU funding institutions
- Good understanding of, or experience in, environmental sustainability and/or sustainable development.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse and multicultural teams.
- Professional proficiency in other national or regional languages is of advantage
- Able to work flexible hours where needed as the central team and key colleagues are based in Europe.
- Good working knowledge of Google Suite applications.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.