South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As the Director of Nature Based Solutions (NBS) within the Project Design, Management & Evaluation (PDME) team, you work in our Climate Projects Business Line, and will be responsible to plan, develop and maintain an up to date processes, knowledge and approaches/tools behind our PDME workflows that guarantees a high quality generation of AFOLU carbon credits globally. This entails all project design, management and evaluation processes from project identification and initial assessment to project realisation and impact issuance.
You will lead, direct and supervise a team of NBS senior experts in REDD+, ARR, Agriculture, WRC, indigenous communities, biodiversity etc. who will own and maintain all strategic components and IPs of the project design, management & evaluation value chain for NBS projects globally. The NBS team within the PDME will be supporting the NBS regional technical leads/teams who will be responsible to execute all PDME components for the projects locally. You will be responsible for planning, budgeting and progressing with the NBS know-how, and up-to-date needs useful for the technical teams globally in coordination with the regional leads/directors. You will coordinate with different leaders within the CP, particularly within the projects strategy (NBS) directors and regional teams to cover and support a wide range of project/business planning and strategy roadmapping workflows.
Your point of contact for standards, methodologies, QC/evaluation and implementation process topics will be the responsible leaders within the PDME team, with whom you will interact regularly due to direct links between project workflows and the above topics. You will interact and collaborate directly with other directors within the PDME and assure that projects, standards/methodologies, implementation, QA/QC and evaluation/optimisation topics are channelled well to regional technical teams and are embedded firmly within the global PDME
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Act as the global leader on NBS projects know-how and develop/organise a progressive and up-to-date knowledge centre within the PDME in collaboration with our leaders
- Support and coordinate directly with the Project Strategy Director incl. the NBS projects strategy team on their strategic technical assessments, inputs and needs from the NBS projects leads within the PDME in different areas and scopes
- Assure that global and regional technical teams within the CP unit are equipped with the latest effective tools, knowledge and approaches around PDME topics and can smoothly apply them in the field and deliver final impact products (e.g. ERs and SDGs etc.) with high integrity and quality
- Own, plan, and direct NBS projects' latest strategic technical know-how e.g. JNR, REDD+ baseline, community stakeholder topics etc. and share/link the strategic directions and outcomes with the regional technical and implementation teams globally in coordination with the project strategy director
- With your team support and guidance when necessary the NBS regional technical heads in the PDME topics; assure that the regional technical teams are using the most plausible latest approaches, tools and methodologies in the highest quality possible
- Collaborate with the QA/QC, evaluation and optimisation lead to plan and develop the most efficient and effective processes for project quality assurance processes incl. During evaluation/assessment and PDME workflows
- Directly liaise with operations to review and update/improve PDME operational processes including the swift (initial) DD assessments process in NBS together with the commercial team; assure that NBS project workflows within SP include both PDME and implementation tasks embedded in one integrated project management system; for this directly liaise with the director NBS implementation within the PDME
- Serve as a partner to global and regional project team heads on project issues
- Support knowledge and expert needs, resource plan & management for NBS technical team globally (in direct coordination with the regional leads and technical heads per region)
- Ensuring consistency of approach and quality of our developments along the different regional teams globally. Be in charge of the coordination of the NBS teams globally and take responsibility for the quality of our global NBS work
- Introduce SP to potential clients and source new projects together with our international team when needed
- Make sure all regional technical teams understand project partners' needs, gather market intelligence and identify industry trends
Essential Profile Requirements:
- Preferably a Master’s Degree in NBS Business, sustainability/project management or related fields
- Extensive work experience in Forestry, Sustainability Consulting, Climate Change Mitigation/Adaptation or related fields
- Vast experience in guiding and directing the work of others, with thorough functional knowledge/expertise in the field of ALM, REDD+, ACoGS, ARR and other AFOLU-related projects
- Ability to manage priorities and motivate a team, keen sense of efficiency
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to identify gaps and design/enhance processes, tools and guidance to address them
- Advanced controlling and organisation skills to ensure proper use of processes and tools
- Ability to compromise and work with different teams within the organisation
- Ability to build, develop and manage large teams
- Be very responsive and reachable to all internal and external stakeholders
- Strong multi-tasking, prioritization and delegation skills Keen sense for project administration & management
- Extensive people Management experience, including performance management, developmental plans and succession planning
- A second language is a plus
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.