South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
Our Legal & Compliance team is looking for an enthusiastic Director of Global Commercial Legal to oversee our commercial legal activities in our four regions (LATAM, NAMER, EMEA and APAC) and bring consistency to our legal and contractual approach worldwide, in a fast-changing environment. As our Director of Global Commercial Legal, you will have to build this new function in close interaction with the Senior Director of Legal & Compliance, with the regional commercial legal managers and with our internal stakeholders, showing pragmatic judgements on contractual risk assessment, and scaling the positioning of the commercial legal teams as added value business partners. In this broad and challenging role, you will be instrumental in supporting the day-to-day negotiation of agreements with South Pole’s clients and partners.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead the Commercial Legal teams and ensure consistency of our commercial work throughout the regions.
- Have a deep knowledge of the ongoing projects and future pipelines in order to support prioritization as needed.
- Have regular interaction with the business line directors in order to ensure alignment on priorities, risk assessment and legal positions.
- Be the point of escalation for the Regional Legal Managers and liaise with the Director of Legal & Compliance as needed.
- Organize the Commercial Legal activities reporting to the Director of Legal & Compliance.
- Be the Director of Legal & Compliance deputy as needed.
- When required, act as the escalation contact in the negotiation of contracts with relevant counterparties (clients, partners, suppliers, service providers), with support from key business stakeholders where required.
- Act as a trusted advisor to the business on contractual matters, providing sound legal advice, taking into account the business and operational perspective.
- Work in close interactions with the leaders of other Legal & Compliance teams (legal operations, compliance & risks, etc.) in order to give and get feedback, and improve the way we operate.
- Coach and provide guidance to the team and the business personnel on contracting policies and procedures
- Support the various stakeholders with the interpretation of contracts, legal risk mitigation and resolution of disputes as required
- A Master’s degree in Law obtained in a good-standing university
- Extensive experience as a legal counsel, with several years as a team manager, in an international environment
- Strong intercultural communication skills
- Excellent written and oral command of English
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time efficiently
- Ability to work on own initiative, while following the process in place in the department and in the wider company
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and desire to make legal processes more efficient
- Outstanding contract negotiation and drafting skills, with the ability to discuss complex issues in a clear and simple manner both in writing and verbally
- Good judgment in balancing business and commercial needs and potential risks/exposures with counterparty requirements
- Accurate and precise attention to details
- Business-centric approach, demonstrating a positive attitude and ability to be creative and propose alternatives under all circumstances
- Additional language skills are of advantage
- Additional relevant industry or product-specific experience is of advantage
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.