South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As part of the Project Development unit, you will focus on successfully overseeing the timely and effective generation and delivery of emission reductions and managing the entire project development cycle in South Asia and Africa. In addition, you will support the project development team and any related sourcing activities and coordinate with other teams. You will be responsible for the design and development of carbon projects in the area of sustainability technology as well as any related GHG mitigation activity. It may include new initiatives in the field of environmental certificates as well. As a result, your role will also ensure that the projects are implemented as agreed while delivering high-quality deliverables (project documents, monitoring reports and others). You will participate in business rounds, technical sessions, site visits, and other relevant events. If you are an enthusiastic and dynamic person with relevant academic background and are passionate to contribute to the fight against climate change, then we are looking for you.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Independent management of climate mitigation projects and entire carbon cycle project development/management, including implementation of all co-benefit certificates
- Maintain a good relationship with the Team Head, other Senior Leads, project owners, clients, VVBs (DOEs or auditors) and other counterparts
- Be aware of the process of signing of ERPA with the project owners, as well as of all the internal procedures in the internal project management tool
- Prepare Proposal/deliverable preparation and completion to the quality required by South Pole and the client
- Define and plan content and structure to support the certification of a project: work plans, work schedules, budgets, and deliverables
- Provide technical reviews and quality Checks
- Keep the team members (collaborators) informed of their progress in the project and ensure that they stay within the time and budget agreed
- Draft invoices to be approved by the supervisor and sent to the Accounting team for submission to clients
- Managing project owners' accounts in our project management tool
- Manage complex situations and technical challenges that will require the use of a problem-solving approach
- Update proposal/project information in the project management tool and ensure all relevant documents are accessible on Google Drive at any time
- Keep general information, milestones and cash flow in the project management tool up to date
- Plan site visits and other types of business trips/training if required
- Gather, prepare and present information to represent South Pole at meetings as requested
- Undertake research into possible partners and collaborators for upcoming opportunities
- Participate in formal and informal networking opportunities as requested
- Share relevant contacts and information on possible opportunities with the Global Sourcing team
- Several years of relevant carbon experience.
- University degree in any relevant engineering field such as (but not limited to) energy and environmental studies
- Very good communication and collaboration skills with the ability to work in an interdisciplinary, global team
- Good prioritization and time management skills
- Result-oriented work approach with the ability to work quickly
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- A master’s degree in any environmental management area is seen as a plus.
- Knowledge of energy, waste management and recycling regulations
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.