South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Digital & Data Science team helps our clients and South Pole design and execute the most ambitious and scalable climate impact initiatives whilst reducing the administrative effort to zero. Our unique track record of running projects across the globe and delivering verified, high quality carbon credits provides us with valuable data we can leverage to identify new, high impact initiatives. We help companies on a day-to-day basis to drive their carbon neutral strategies with their customers, suppliers and their employees through analytics and sustainability software solutions. If you have the skills, ambition and drive to use the best of digital and AI to protect ecosystems, restore forests, drive sustainable agriculture, and enable climate zero journeys across the globe then please apply or register your interest now!
The purpose of this role is to use our data to inform strategic decision-making by utilising Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning and Statistical techniques. As such the role is part of the Data and Insights team within the Information Technology in Corporate Services and reports directly to the Global Head of Data and Insight. You will work as part of our central production team, working across the entire business to identify, propose and produce data science solutions.
This is a role that sits across all of our business lines and you will find yourself working on a variety of projects and use cases. You will be expected to create actionable insights and present this back to the business. You will work within our Production team which consists of data engineers, product managers, visualisation experts and data analysts. You will be comfortable supporting multiple initiatives at once and can expect to take responsibility for your own work early on.
This exciting opportunity will suit an individual who is looking for a job with real purpose, who is detail-oriented and happy to get stuck in and support the organisation as we grow and develop. Previous experience in start-ups is desirable but not a must. You are enthused by the opportunity to be part of a rapidly expanding global company (with all the solution changes that accompany such growth) in the sustainability sector.
Our technology stack is mainly GCP with Tableau and Python.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Utilise advanced data science techniques to answer critical business questions
- Turn data into actionable insights and present findings and recommendations back to the business
- Develop and maintain scalable and productionalised code
- Identify to utilise data science techniques
- Work with stakeholders and team to map out their data science roadmap and needs
- Communicate results and influence key business leaders.
- Create high-quality and engaging data visualisations that effectively communicate your findings
- Explore and suggest new tools and methods to achieve maximal efficiency in data collection, processing and analysis.
- Degree educated
- You are an experienced data scientist with several years' worth of experience
- You are an excellent communicator, both verbally and in written form. You can make an analytical argument, and you can present complex data in an understandable way.
- You are an avid learner and continuously improve yourself and your work. You actively help, give feedback and act upon the feedback you receive.
- You are an expert in Python and have used this on the cloud
- You have knowledge of visualisation tools like Tableau, Looker, Qlikview etc.
- You have a good command of SQL
- You have direct experience or theoretical knowledge of:
- Statistics, e.g. Bayesian, A/B testing
- Predictive Modelling
- Sentiment Analysis
- Natural Language Processing
- Have experience working with Google Cloud infrastructure and Salesforce
- Have experience in productionisation of analytics solutions
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.