South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As Associate Director for Project Operations, you will be responsible for the management and leadership of all operational activities that support the successful acquisition, implementation and delivery of climate mitigation projects. This global role will ensure consistent development, deployment, and improvement of operating policies, procedures, and tools that enable our climate projects teams to achieve their objectives. In this role, you will actively work and coordinate with our senior project and regional directors to prepare and execute a strategic operating plan that delivers our project work in an efficient and effective manner. This is a fast-paced role that requires cross-company collaboration, multi-tasking and prioritisation.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Engage with senior project directors to establish an operational roadmap for the development and deployment of global policies, processes, and tools
- Build a strategic operating plan that addresses the end-to-end delivery of climate mitigation projects (from project acquisition to carbon credit delivery)
- Liaise with regional project directors to ensure that regional teams have the necessary operational support to deliver against their targets
- Advice and support the Director of Operations, Climate Projects on organizational matters, to ensure that the business line’s needs are understood and covered
- Manage a team of global operations staff that will support the development and implementation of all operational resources
- Oversee and coordinate regional operations managers responsible for ensuring consistency in the implementation of these operational resources
- Collaborate with the wider Climate Projects Operations team to harmonize activities across units
- Conduct data monitoring and analysis to address supply and performance gaps in order to better inform business decisions
- Accompany the Project teams’ growth and support the People & Culture team with recruitment, onboarding, performance management and training
- Support board calls, committees, strategy meetings, etc and act as sparring partners to our internal stakeholders including the Climate Projects Operations Director
- Engage across business lines, including Climate Solutions & Corporate Services, to ensure appropriate knowledge management, communication, and capacity development Hire, manage and develop your direct reports
- A university degree, ideally in Business Administration, Political Science, Environmental Sciences, Sustainability, or related disciplines.
- Relevant work experience in operations including strategy development and stakeholder management.
- Experience in complex situations where alignment between competing interests occurs.
- Experience in working in global teams, across time zones and from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Project management experience.
- People management, with experience in running a small team.
- Strategic mindset.
- Advanced skills with the use of the MS Office Suite, Google Drive, IT platforms and technologies.
- A proactive, diligent and independent approach.
- Strong organizational skills: ability to multitask, focus and prioritize.
- Excellent personal relationships, enjoy working with and supporting others.
- Results-driven, with a strong focus on process optimisation and continuous improvement .
- Excellent oral and written skills in English.
- Familiarity with carbon markets and environmental asset management.
- Familiarity with CRM platforms and project management software.
- Experience with formatting documents and using styles.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment.
- Good prioritization and time management skills.
- Diligent, reliable and proactive.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.