South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The purpose of this role is primarily to manage and develop our Google Cloud Data Platform and to support other cloud initiatives across South Pole. As such the role is part of the Data and Insights team within the Information Technology in Corporate Services and reports directly to the Global Head of Data and Insight with significant collaboration with our Infrastructure and DevOps team. You will be responsible for the build, delivery and maintenance of our cloud data infrastructure on Google Cloud. You will be part of our production team which includes data engineers, visualisation experts, data analysts, business analysts and data scientists with PM support.
You will ensure our cloud is engineered and set up to build scalable and automated analytics solutions in an agile environment on the cloud. You have experience building cloud infrastructure to support product development and platform production and will probably be Google Cloud Certified. You come from a highly technical background and are enthusiastic about the potential of cloud, data products and the opportunity to be a significant part of a company that delivers real impact. You will be comfortable supporting multiple initiatives at once. Please note that this is a new initiative at South Pole and therefore will suit a candidate who enjoys a start-up environment.
This exciting opportunity will suit an individual who has significant previous experience in building cloud platforms to support data and analytics products. You are detail-oriented and happy to get stuck in and support the organisation as we grow and develop. You are enthused by the opportunity to be part of a rapidly expanding global company (with all the solution changes that accompany such growth) in the sustainability sector.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Design and implement the cloud infrastructure to support analytics product build
- Implement our cloud data platform
- Architect a cloud solution to support client-facing analytics/data products
- Analyse and address risk factors in deliverables and propose risk mitigation
- Work as an integral part of the production team
- Understand business needs and functions to answer key business questions
- Manage, maintain & improve the company’s cloud services
- Work with our Legal team to implement the correct cloud security and data compliance
- Advice and support on setting up APIs
- Degree educated
- Significant experience in architecting and building cloud infrastructure to support analytics productions at scale inc. data platforms
- Google Cloud Certified
- Knowledge of Kubernetes or other Container solutions
- Proven experience in architecting, implementing and maintaining cloud solutions in GCP using BigQuery
- Experience with business requirements gathering and agile ways of working
- Previous experience working with global teams
- Have experience working with Tableau, Salesforce and Python
- Data Analytics experience and knowledge of machine learning, forecasting and statistical techniques
- Knowledge of open standards, such as XML (Extensible Markup Language), SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol), WSDL (Web Services Description Language) and UDDI (Universal Description, Discovery and Integration), and an understanding and practical experience of how APIs are engineered.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.