South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
As part of the Climate Projects business line within the Global Sourcing team, the Senior SourcingManager, Nature-Based Solutions (NBS), will primarily focus on Nature-based emission reduction project leads and opportunities in Brazil. Reporting to a senior NBS team member in the Latin American NBS Sourcing team, you will actively also support business development and emission reduction project sourcing related activities in the region, especially related to forestries such as REDD+, afforestation, reforestation, rehabilitation, improved forest management, and NBS topics such as blue carbon and agriculture-based emission reduction projects.
In this exciting role, you will work closely with other teams within the Climate Projects business line, allowing you a global perspective on climate finance and sustainability. This externally facing position will require strong networking and communication skills. You will be dealing directly with many project owners and sustainability-related actors to help collaborate and source emission reduction projects for South Pole’s global portfolio.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
Support project sourcing operations activities in Brazil for carbon credits and possibly other environmental market products
- Ensure that sourcing flows and processes (including documentation and interaction with other teams) are in line with the company guidelines
- Manage and maintain our global sourcing database, ensuring that information regarding project leads and opportunities are well recorded and updated
- Support coordination and collaboration with other teams within South Pole globally, in regards to project leads and opportunities
- Source new project leads and opportunities for the Latin American region aligned to Sourcing strategies and mandates
- Draft contracts and commercial proposals
- Conduct research relevant to new project leads, project developers, project owners, and relevant regulatory regimes/policies in the Latin American region
- Collect data from Project Owners or other third parties for due diligence, financing plans, and budgets, technical, financial, and legal documentation
- When relevant, attend meetings/seminars/workshops/events that are strategic for sourcing team activities
- University degree in Forestry, Agriculture, Economics, Environmental Sustainability, Business Development, and Law or similar
- Extensive experience in carbon markets (compliance/voluntary), experience in environmental project assessment/development, ideally in an international environment
- Good understanding of climate change mitigation actions and frameworks such as Net-Zero
- Good commercial terms understanding and ideally experience with commercial negotiations
- Existing networks in NBS fields such as Forestry, Conservation or Agriculture
- Native or fluent in Portuguese, Professional proficiency in English is a must and Spanish is desirable.
- Experience and interest in engagements and networking — people skills
- Experience in project screening and budgeting/financing
- Knowledge of project development in the Latin American region and specifically of renewable energy, household and plastics projects
- Knowledge of carbon credits, standards, project development
- Comfortable working with an international and multicultural team
- Proficiency with MS Office, especially MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Salesforce and Google Suite
- Adaptability and versatility
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.