South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
Job Summary We are looking for an enthusiastic regulatory legal counsel to follow the evolution of the various regulations applicable to our business lines and general activities in the countries we operate in. In this broad and challenging role you are working as part of the wider Global Legal and Compliance team, directly reporting to the Senior Director of Legal and Compliance and working closely with the Compliance Manager, and you will be instrumental in maintaining our compliance while being proactive on future regulations.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Legal & the Compliance team, the business lines and other internal stakeholders on the mapping and monitoring of our regulatory environment, involving a wide range of regulations (environmental, but also financial services, data privacy, etc.).
- Analyze and interpret these various regulations, case law, and regulatory research in order to proactively assess and mitigate risks.
- Develop training materials and perform training sessions for the Legal & Compliance department.
- Support the risk assessment of projects implying regulatory issues. Support the development of legal documentation (including playbooks) involving regulatory topics.
- Support the reporting activities of the Legal & Compliance team to the Board of Directors.
- Proactively engage and work alongside local regulators across multiple countries.
- Notify any suspected or possible non-compliance issues to the Senior Director of Legal & Compliance.
- Support the communication team in emphasizing the group’s compliance with applicable regulations and developing legally based counter statements when needed
- A European Master’s degree in Environmental Law
- Experience covering multiple areas of law and transposing skills to new regulation areas
- Experience as an in-house regulatory counsel or related position
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral command in English Ability to multitask, prioritise and manage time efficiently in a fast-moving environment
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and desire to make legal processes more efficient; Excellent verbal and communication skills Accurate and precise attention to details Problem solving and business-centric approach, demonstrating a positive attitude and ability to be creative and propose alternatives under all circumstances Ability to follow team corporate and department processes and reporting requests
- Additional language skills are of advantage
- Additional relevant industry or product-specific experience is of advantage
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.