South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Senior Managing Consultant is to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy advice to international clients on sustainability topics for the financial services sector. You will be fully accountable for the development and overall management of sustainable finance proposals and for the implementation of projects, for which you will supervise project teams of varying sizes. You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client. In addition, you may lead the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise large/complex consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure.
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation.
- Interact and build relationships with our international clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates.
- Develop proposals with the Key Account Management team and regularly generate own leads, actively contributing to the business development activities of the company.
- Provide guidance on and technical leadership in the development of proposals for the financial sector on topics related to GHG accounting of investments and lending and implementation of advisory projects, as well as lead their technical review.
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to topics and services offered by South Pole.
- Lead and directly manage small teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context.
- Lead the development of South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings.
- Topics of engagement will include GHG accounting of Scope 3 emissions from investment and lending (financed emissions, PCAF), TCFD advisory including gap analysis, physical and transition risks, and disclosure.
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field including Environmental Science, Data Science, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Applied Math, or related disciplines.
- Relevant knowledge of financial products and instruments, as well as relevant regulatory requirements and voluntary disclosure mechanisms.
- Extensive relevant work experience in sustainability consulting or related fields. Specific experience within the sustainable investment space, methodologies for financial risk evaluations, climate-related risks and understanding of relevant sustainable finance industry context.
- Excellent project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context.
- Excellent writing skills, with proven expertise in creating and reviewing high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables).
- Excellent stakeholder and client management skills.
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders such as banks, asset and fund managers, pension funds and insurance providers.
- Deep understanding of environmental sustainability challenges and specific consultancy experience in the relevant areas of the practice.
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English. Fluency in other languages such as Spanish, German, or other languages is an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven experience in the calculation of Scope 3 (financed emissions) accounting for FIs and ESG data and indicators for financial institutions. Experience in physical and transition risk assessment is a plus.
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage.
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word.
- Diligent, reliable and proactive.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment.
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.