South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Associate is to support the implementation of international, regional and local projects, the preparation of proposals and the development of new products for the corporate sectors. This includes a variety of tasks such as research, information analysis and writing deliverables and proposals on climate risks. You will contribute to supporting project teams with medium-sized and large mandates and will also be expected to manage small projects yourself. As part of the Risks and Opportunities team at South Pole, you will help translate the latest scientific knowledge of the climate science and energy transition to help companies assess their risks and opportunities, and develop a robust climate strategy. You will work with a team of experts who combine data analytics and climate science with a desire to fight climate change.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Support with or lead the preparation and completion of proposals/deliverables for the corporate sector, including both technical and administrative requirements, to the level of quality required by South Pole and the client, for our international, regional and local clients.
- Support with the development and improvement of specialised skills, tools and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole.
- Work with specialists from advisory teams to prepare climate models data for digital delivery
- Manage small projects, including interacting with the client and the project team.
- Ensure assigned tasks/projects are delivered on time and within the available budget.
- Support business development activities through desktop research and developing materials to be shared with possible clients and partners.
- Topics of engagement may include: climate change scenario analysis, climate risks and opportunities, climate disclosures, assessment of clients’ exposure to carbon pricing schemes and extreme weather events, and preparation of disclosure content in line with international reporting standards.
- University degree, ideally in Earth Sciences, Geography, Environmental Sciences or Engineering, IT, Economics or other sustainability-related disciplines
- Relevant knowledge of climate science and policies, as well as environmental and sustainability challenges in multinational companies
- Entry-level experience in IT and/or sustainability consulting or a related field
- Experience in data management and data quality assurance
- Ability to conduct research tasks, analyse and summarise data
- Ability to manage small projects in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Good writing skills, with the ability to create high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Ability to interact effectively with clients, collaborators or other relevant stakeholders
- An autonomous yet collaborative approach to work
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel and/or higher programming language
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage
- Strong analytical skills and mindset
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Understanding of software architecture and development practices
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau)
- Diligent, reliable and proactive
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Good prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.