South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The purpose of this role is to manage the climate mitigation projects within the Project Development and Implementation team in the SE Asia region. This includes sectors such as renewables & alternative energy, waste and wastewater treatment, industrial and community-level energy efficiency, plastics, and circularity.
Reporting directly to the Regional Director, this position will support the PDI team in developing the climate projects and coordinating and working closely with other senior members in the PDI team, Sourcing team, Climate Policy teams, Operation teams, Portfolio, and KAM. In addition, as a people manager, the task includes supervising the team members to deliver high-quality carbon credits to all our clients and relevant stakeholders.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead and be accountable for emission reduction generation, full mitigation climate project development cycle and management, quality checks for deliverables, project-related consultancy mandates and new project sourcing. This would include voluntary and compliance mitigation schemes and environmental certification standards in the region e.g. CDM, Verra, Gold Standard, GCC and relevant domestic standards
- Provide supervision to team members and have a complete overview of the business possibilities for South Pole in climate mitigation sectors in coordination with the regional management teams
- Manage the Project Partners and DOE (third party independent certifier) relationship management. This includes the relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Support the KAMs and the portfolio team with tenders and proposal preparation, the Marketing team in project information requests and the Climate Solutions team based on availability, in coordination with the Head of Project Development
- Support the sourcing team with technical and strategic inputs
- Budget control and management budgets of all tasks and activities with optimum efficiency and effectiveness
- Have a complete overview of the operational matters of the climate practice team in the region and proactively contribute to the improvement of the internal processes and operations by liaising with the Climate Projects, Head of Operations.
- University degree in Renewable Energy, Environmental Science, Engineering, Sustainability, or any climate change and GHG mitigation related field, a master's degree is a plus
- Experience in the carbon or climate project development area. Familiarity with the mitigation activity in the waste sector and decarbonization technology is an advantage
- Extensive relevant work experience in sustainability consulting, climate change mitigation and adaptation or related fields
- A good understanding of carbon standards, GHG accounting projects, carbon footprint, community-based projects and renewable energy development and climate change area is essential
- Outstanding stakeholder management skills at all levels, mainly focusing on senior management
- Proven performance and ability to cease in a fast-paced environment, resilient to overcome challenges
- Creative, independent, resourceful and a trusted leader with functional knowledge and expertise in the GHG mitigation area and related fields
- Experience in business management, quantitative analysis and financial analysis
- A good network with various market participants e.g. project developers, certification auditors, any related private sector, NGO and government agencies will be a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in Thai and English
- Strong experience in managing and leading a professional team through complex situations and cross-functional organization, as well as engaging with the project partner’s senior level to ensure the project execution and maintaining a good relationship
- Working experience on project development in the area of renewable energy, energy efficiency, sustainable energy, sustainable technology, low carbon technology, waste to energy, decarbonization technology, life cycle assessment, sustainability report, or similar fields will be a plus
- Commercially focused with proven influencing skills with knowledge of environmental certification market or similar
- Problem-solving, analytical skills, flexible and efficient
- Open mind and embrace all challenges Knowledge of additional languages in ASEAN is considered a plus
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.