South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Principal Consultant is to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy advice to international, regional and local clients on sustainability topics for the corporate sector. You will be fully accountable for the development and overall management of proposals on agriculture supply chain strategies and water stewardship, as well as for the implementation of projects, for which you will supervise various project teams. You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client. You will also leverage your vast technical expertise to drive business development activities and generate new leads. In addition, you will contribute to the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead the planning, management and execution of highly complex/very large consulting mandates for the corporate sector on agriculture supply chain strategies and water stewardship to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- As a senior expert, provide supervision, guidance on and technical leadership in international consulting mandates and proposals, as well as lead their technical review
- Develop new consulting business opportunities and collaborate closely with the Key Account Management team
- Interact and build relationships with our local and international clients and contribute to the winning and timely delivery of consulting mandates
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Lead the development of South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- Lead and directly manage small teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Participate in business strategy and leadership-relevant internal discussions to position our consulting activities within South Pole's overall business and offering
- Topics of engagement may include: sustainability and corporate supply chain risks with a particular focus on climate, water and forests in agricultural supply chains
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field in Environmental Sciences, Agronomy, Environmental Engineering or related disciplines
- Relevant knowledge of environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies, especially with the integration of sustainability in supply chains and agriculture
- Extensive work experience, at least partly in corporate consulting
- Specific consultancy experience in sustainability and corporate supply chain risks with a particular focus on climate, water and forests in agricultural supply chains
- Excellent technical project supervision skills and ability to guide project teams
- Excellent stakeholder and client management skills, including the ability to lead contract negotiations
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of environmental sustainability challenges and specific consultancy experience in the relevant areas of the practice
- Commercial skills and good business sense to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Leadership and strategic management experience
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with specific communication experience to senior decision-makers (such as C-Suite) and across a range of stakeholders
- Practical experience in:
- Monitoring and quantification of environmental impacts along the supply chain on climate, water and forests -with agricultural supply chains in tropical countries and project development/program management
- Sustainable procurement, change management and sustainability strategy development
- Change management and sustainability strategy development
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Diligent, reliable and proactive
- Fully comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.