South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious, and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
To grow our LATAM Legal Team, we are looking for an enthusiastic Junior Commercial Legal Counsel to ensure consistent drafting, review and negotiation of our commercial contracts. The Junior Commercial Legal Counsel needs to ensure consistent legal support, as well as judgements on specific contract terms, reducing the turn-around times of legal requests and removing bottlenecks in the legal support to the Latin American Region. In this broad and challenging role you are working as part of a Regional Team (Legal-Latam) and the bigger Global Legal & Compliance team, and you will be instrumental to further develop our standards and procedures.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Review a variety of contracts (NDAs, service agreements, subcontracts, sale and purchase agreements) based on our defined standards.
- Give legal advice during negotiations with counterparties.
- Answer legal questions arising from the technical and administrative areas.
- Perform risk assessments of proposed contractual terms and
conditions, and develop recommendations to minimize their potential risk to the business.
- Liaise with the Regional Legal Team for special situations on a case by case basis
- Notify Regional Legal Manager of relevant contractual non-compliance issues and potential legal risks.
- Refine and further develop standard contractual positions.
- Train and provide guidance to business personnel on contracting policies and procedures.
- Potential other related tasks to meet business needs.
- University degree in Law.
- Experience in civil/commercial law.
- Proactive mindset, willingness to take initiative, while following the process in place in the department and in the wider company.
- Professional proficiency in English and Portuguese
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Good understanding of commercial terms/structures and experience with commercial negotiations.
- A Master's degree or advanced Law degree would be an advantage
- Relevant legal experience in public/environmental law
- Broad understanding of global sustainability issues
- Experience working for a global company, working with other jurisdictions other than the local one.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international, and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.