South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
South Pole has developed 800+ climate projects across the globe that have already undergone carbon certification. Head of Climate Project Accounts is responsible for overseeing and managing the commercial relations with South Pole’s existing project partners on the ground. The role is service-oriented, including active relationship management, monitoring and renegotiating commercial terms of existing South Pole contracts with the project partners, where necessary. The Senior Partnerships Manager is in a global function and is expected to build up regional teams of Partnership Managers focusing on local project accounts and project partners. This position will work very closely with the Project Development and Implementation team which coordinate closely with existing project partners.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- In coordination with the Director - Climate Project Partnerships, the Project Development and Implementation team and the Portfolio team, become the main commercial relationship manager of key project accounts and establish active communication with those project partners on non-technical matters
- Be the internal commercial sparring partner for the technical Project Managers for the relevant project accounts
- Be the point of contact for Project Development and implementation team members if long-standing Contracts with project partners need renegotiation (either upon Project partner request or pre-emptively). This includes a proactive screening of projects that might be at risk
- In addition, actively engage with current project partners for additional future joint project implementation and development opportunities in close collaboration with the Sourcing team
- Flag investment opportunities and proactively identify acquisition targets to grow our project's base in collaboration with South Pole’s investment team
- Work jointly with South Pole’s Portfolio, Marketing and Accounting team on developing an (online) service desk for project partners which facilitates fluent communication and information on sales transactions, market data, payment systems etc.
- Support (as required) the Legal team in developing relevant updated templates such as Investment contracts, and updated MOU and Cooperation agreements
- Lead staff selection and hiring process and train and manage, guide and motivate the Regional Project Account Managers in Latin America, Africa, Asia and Europe
- University degree in Environmental Sciences, Business, Engineering, Law or other relevant disciplines
- Several years of relevant work experience, including several years of experience in business development and account management roles specifically on the topics of voluntary or compliance carbon markets and carbon project development
- Experience in establishing clear performance targets and metrics, with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding challenging targets
- Strategic mindset
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to structure and negotiate deals that are commercially sound and profitable for South Pole
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to partner effectively with key internal and external stakeholders
- Outstanding financial and planning skills, with experience leading strategy and budgeting processes
- Strong quantitative skills and the ability to use data and metrics to inform decisions
- Demonstrated skills and experience managing cross-functional, high-performing, diverse, remote and global teams. Including recruiting, hirings, on-boarding, supervising, guiding and developing global professionals
- Outstanding leadership skills, with the ability to inspire action and get the best out of people
- Professional proficiency in English language skills, both oral and written
- Ideally a Master's degree
- Experience in scaling up a fast-growing organisation in the context of a highly competitive market environment
- Technical Know-how in carbon project development
- Professional competence in additional languages
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.