South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As Manager of the Climate Projects business line, you will coordinate with the Project Development and Implementation teams to carry out Nature-Based Solutions strategies and complement the project's implementation approach for the timely, effective generation and delivery of emission ecosystem services enhancements. Reporting directly to the Head of Project Implementation, you will support the unit's Design for Implementation topics. As in many cases, these projects require upfront investment; you will be responsible for the management of South Pole own-risk investments for the implementation of Nature-Based Solutions projects and agree with the project owners in the framework of the project implementation phases, as well as promoting the permanence and technical evaluation to ensure the medium/long term projects management.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Support all the necessary due diligence activities (risk assessment, implementation models, etc) to ensure South Pole investment
- Working closely with Social Economic Experts to develop and implement procedures to obtain Free Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC), particularly for South Pole own-risk projects
- Working closely with sourcing team responsible for client relationships on submission of implementation proposals to project proponents
- Working with external partners to develop project investment in the implementation and liaising with other members of the PDI team on project implementation financial and technical structuring (preparing of budgets and implementation models)
- Manage financial resources (own-risks investments or additional from partners) and the implementation of Nature-Based Solutions for carbon and biodiversity credits generation
- Report semi-annually to the board on implementations, budget needs and management of new resources
- Follow up with the internal procedures in our internal project management tool regarding all signed agreements
- Leading project coordinators and overseeing compliance with commitments to partners and communities associated with the ongoing projects
- Providing technical and development support by contracting projects
- Identify possible partners and collaborators to develop projects associated with nature-based solution projects, compensations and incentives for conservation, environmental assets, and land use planning.
- Ability to implement projects by keeping the supervisor and team informed on the progress of the project, responsible for ensuring the quality of deliverables and financial viability in the implementation of projects
- Availability to interact with internal and external stakeholders associated with the projects. This includes working closely with the South Pole management team in the country to engage/liaise with respective national and sub-national governments in terms of the project’s compliance with in-country regulation
- Plan and develop site visits and other types of business trips/training
- Contribute to client presentations for each project implementation opportunity.
- A University degree in Finance, Economics, Natural Resources Management, Sustainability, Biologist, Agronomist, Forestry Engineer or related fields, ideally with evidence of a focus on sustainable financing strategies and management of investment funds
- A Master's degree would be an advantage
- Extensive experience of relevant Monitoring and Implementation experience, preferably in ecosystem services, restoration or preservation-related field
- Relevant experience in project implementation and monitoring
- Affinity for working with local communities and excellent communication skills to manage relationships with them.
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English and other languages could be an advantage
- Proven ability to work across multiple teams, in multi-disciplinary projects
- Capacity to solve relatively complex project-related problems independently, and receive general direction on new assignments or projects strategy and planning
- Ability to think ahead and plan strategic guidelines and steps for internal processes
- Knowledge of and experience in carbon, biodiversity and ecosystem services project-based frameworks, standards, technologies and project implementation processes
- Knowledge of Latin American regulations for the development of conservation projects and Monitoring
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.