South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
South Pole is looking for a Managing Consultant to strengthen its team in Europe and play a key role in European and international consultancy assignments, with a strong focus on technical carbon removals.
As a global sustainability solutions provider, South Pole works with clients in both the public and private space to build solutions for a sustainable society and economy. The Climate Policy, Finance and Carbon Markets team sits in a business line responsible for sourcing carbon projects, developing them and bringing resulting carbon credits to market. The team works on public and private consultancy assignments for clients and provides policy and technology insights as well as market intelligence to various teams within the business lines.
Short-listed candidates will have an excellent understanding of European and global climate policy, and their implications for different sectors, with some specific experience in the field of technical carbon removal solutions, CCS, CCU, and industrial transformation issues.
The selected candidate will ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy assignments and support the management of some proposals on climate change policies, carbon markets and climate finance. The selected candidate will also be expected to have a few reporting lines.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage consulting assignments throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure
- Ensure highly efficient and high-quality implementation of South Pole assignments
- Contribute to business development activities for the company, including supporting the development of consultancy proposals
- Provide technical leadership for the development of proposals and implementation of advisory assignments for the corporate and public sector on topics such as carbon market instruments, , EU ETS regulation, and voluntary carbon markets, with a thematic focus technical carbon removals, CCS and CCU
- Contribute to product development for the company’s offering on carbon removals in coordination with other business lines, including the Projects Development and Implementation team, Climate Investment, and the Innovation team
- Contribute to knowledge-sharing activities and expand skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Directly manage small teams of consultants in a multi-cultural and multi-geography context
- Contribute to the development of South Pole’s thought leadership activities, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field
- Relevant knowledge of international climate policy, EU climate policy, carbon markets, climate finance and/or corporate sustainability
- Good understanding of the international and regional climate policy context and the related stakeholder landscape for technical carbon removal solutions, CCS and CCU
- Several years of relevant work experience in the field of climate change or sustainability
- Excellent project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-cultural and multi-geography context
- Excellent writing skills, with proven expertise in creating and reviewing high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Autonomous and proactive, yet strong ability to work collaboratively
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
- Excellent working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS products (Word, Excel)
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Demonstrable interest in working on climate change mitigation projects, programmes or instruments across sectors and technologies, especially in carbon removals
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators, and other relevant stakeholders
- Experience working and/or advising on carbon removal technologies and market-based instruments
- Experience leading or contributing to published analysis
- Mastery of other language(s) than English
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.