South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Digital & Data Science team helps our clients and South Pole design and execute the most ambitious and scalable climate impact initiatives whilst reducing the administrative effort to zero. Our unique track record of running projects across the globe and delivering verified, high quality carbon credits provides us with valuable data we can leverage to identify new, high impact initiatives. We help companies on a day-to-day basis to drive their carbon neutral strategies with their customers, suppliers and their employees through analytics and sustainability software solutions. If you have the skills, ambition and drive to use the best of digital and AI to protect ecosystems, restore forests, drive sustainable agriculture, and enable climate zero journeys across the globe then please apply or register your interest now!
As a part of the Digital Innovation team, you will support the ongoing development and improvement of our digital Monitoring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) systems. This includes working with different databases, preprocessing spatial data, producing training and validation datasets, and applying geospatial and AI methodologies. By supporting the Digital & Data Science developments, you will motivate strategic and critical thinking in your professional career, strengthen your competencies in areas such as remote sensing, GIS, and AI, and contribute to the company's business goals. The internship will have a duration of 6 months from the moment of hiring.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Understand the framework that drives the digital MRV and the market's needs and challenges that currently push for new Geo.AI developments
- Support the labelling creation by conducting geospatial processing of different regions in the world
- Support the development of all the requirements related to GeoAI. Specific tasks will be defined jointly with the Innovation Leader. They may include market research, data collection and processing, training of algorithms, and monitoring of the latest development in the field
- University degree in Forestry Engineer, Environmental Science, or similar
- Currently participating in a graduate program (Specialist or Master)
- Knowledge of geospatial information systems and analytical tools and ability to rapidly expanding of knowledge
- Knowledge on the processing of supervised and not supervised image classification techniques
- Effective communication, well-developed oral and writing skills in English
- Ability to function independently and strong organizational skills with attention to detail, as well as willingness to receive indications and advance in specific assigned tasks
- Be dynamic, energetic, and a proactive problem solver with a special ability to deal with new, difficult, and strange technical situations, and to avoid traditional and rigid work environments in order to promote significant professional changes
- Familiar with machine learning and AI technologies
- Fundamental understanding of Python and its frameworks
- Practical experience with data annotation software
- Specialization in forestry, natural resource management, environmental sciences/management or Geographic Information System (GIS) is a plus
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.