South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a Project Manager, you will be responsible for the design and development of emission reduction projects and the management of their certification processes under international and local European standards. In practice, you will be overseeing project development activities in Europe, including among others the identification of opportunities, due diligence, the evaluation of GHG emission reductions, the audit, project validation, and verification processes. For this, you will collaborate with team members in South Pole’s offices internationally. You will liaise with other business teams for the relevant marketing, communication, and carbon sales processes upstream of the certification process. You will participate in business rounds, technical sessions, site visits, and other relevant events.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead Project Development activity in Germany and Central European countries as a focus
- Be a key point of contact and maintain a good relationship with project owners, clients, validation and verification bodies, and other counterparts
- Understand and quantify the climate action potential of project opportunities to generate carbon credits following internationally accredited carbon standards and methodologies
- Support the sourcing team in targeting and developing sustainable business cases to enable the scaling of climate action opportunities
- Support the Sourcing Manager with the development of a regional strategy
- Lead the development of proposals and deliverables to the quality required by South Pole and the client
- Keep updated on developments by standards, and frequently evaluate new methodologies applicable to the European context, in internal coordination with colleagues focused on these topics
- Observe the emerging policy frameworks in Germany and other countries in the European Union, specifically considering nature-based climate solutions, including forestry & agriculture
- Follow up with the internal procedures in our internal project management tool regarding all signed Emission Reduction Purchase Agreements (ERPAs)
- Define and plan content and structure to support the certification of the project: work plans, work schedules, budgets, and deliverables
- Schedule Technical Reviews and Quality Checks
- Ensure that all team members receive ongoing training and that they have the necessary skills and tools to perform their work
- Keep colleagues informed of progress in the project and ensure collaboration is within the time and budget agreed
- Manage projects and accounts to ensure timely invoicing, communication and knowledge management
- Keep general information, milestones and cash flow in the project management tool up to date
- Plan and conduct site visits and other types of business trips/training
- University Bachelor and Masters in engineering, forestry, agriculture, natural resource management, sustainability or climate change and carbon mitigation related fields
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in Business, Forestry, Sustainability Consulting, Climate Change Mitigation/Adaptation, or related fields.
- Familiarity with carbon standards like CDM, VERRA, GS4GG, GCC, ISO14064-2, etc. and methodologies (Agriculture, LULUCF, industries, waste, and circularity)
- Familiarity with European carbon policies and measures in Germany and Austria
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English and German
- Ability to manage targets and priorities and develop their own goals
- National, or holder of a valid work visa in any country in Europe or the British Isles
- Ability to work on assignments that are diverse in nature, applying company policies, processes, and procedures to resolve a variety of issues/problems.
- The capacity to solve complex project-related problems independently, and receive general direction on new assignments or projects
- Have excellent communication skills, especially verbal and written skills in English
- Proficient communication and writing skills, French, Spanish or other European languages is an asset
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.