South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
South Pole is looking for a Senior Managing Consultant to strengthen our team in Asia to fill two key roles, enhance our company's engagement with the Indonesian Government, and be involved in our regional consultancy assignments and proposals. The Senior Managing Consultant will establish and maintain good relationships with key government departments in Indonesia to support South Pole's business development activities and promote our company as a thought leader to support the Indonesian government agenda. You will also ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy assignments to international, regional and local clients on sustainability topics.
You will be responsible for developing and implementing a targeted government engagement plan and the overall management of some proposals on climate change policies, carbon markets and climate finance, along with the implementation of projects. In addition, you will provide technical guidance to consultancy assignments and act as the main point of contact for specific clients when implementing mandates.
This position will collaborate closely with the director of PT, South Pole Indonesia, and different units in the Climate Projects business line to ensure that existing and future projects and activities can function effectively within the Government of Indonesia regulatory and policy framework.
Short-listed candidates should understand global, regional, and Indonesian specific climate policy and climate finance. Ideally, with prior experience working in government engagement/policy development-related work, consultancy and experience leading or contributing to different assignments.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Develop a comprehensive Indonesian government engagement plan and ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- Build a good network with Indonesian government officials at the national and sub-national levels by attending meetings and formal events
- Organise relevant events, speakers, experts to support the Indonesian government agenda with carbon markets
- Provide insights, summaries and analysis on Indonesian specific regulations, procedures or laws related to carbon markets or carbon projects (existing and future) to key members of the team and other units of the business line and other business lines within South Pole
- As required, support and advise on the development of a project sourcing strategy relevant to the Indonesian domestic carbon market
- Contribute to business development activities for the company, including supporting the development of consultancy proposals and the sourcing of possible emission reduction projects, particularly in providing advice in regards to Indonesian specific regulations, procedures or laws related to carbon markets
- Provide technical leadership for the development of proposals and implementation of advisory mandates for the corporate and public sector on topics such as Carbon Market Instruments, Article 6 of the Paris Agreement, climate policy implementation and financing, sustainable development plans and strategies (e.g. NDCs), Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) advisory, CORSIA advisory, and carbon offset procurement strategies
- Interact and build relationships with our international, regional and/or local clients
- Contribute to knowledge-sharing activities and expand skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Contribute to the development of South Pole’s thought leadership activities, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field; or political science, law
- Relevant knowledge of climate policy, carbon markets and climate finance
- Established network and contacts within relevant ministries in the Indonesian government
- Excellent understanding of the international, regional and Indonesian specific climate policy context, carbon market and climate finance developments
- Extensive work experience in the field of climate change or sustainability
- Excellent project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint
- Excellent writing skills, with proven expertise in creating and reviewing high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Excellent stakeholder and client management skills
- Autonomous and proactive, yet strong ability to work collaboratively
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Excellent prioritisation and time management skills
- Excellent working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS products (Word, Excel)
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Demonstrated experience with collaborating with and influencing national-level government in Indonesia
- Demonstrable interest in working on climate change mitigation projects, programmes or instruments across sectors and technologies, especially in Asian countries
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders such as governments, development finance institutions, development agencies, and other public or private donors/stakeholders, particularly in Asia
- Experience working and/or advising on green finance schemes and market-based climate finance instruments
- Knowledge of other regionally-relevant languages
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.