South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a Manager of the Project Development & Implementation team, You will oversee the timely and effective generation and delivery of emission reductions, as well as the management of several full project cycles in the Americas. It may include the new initiatives in the field of environmental certificates as well. As a result, your role will also ensure that the projects are implemented as agreed while delivering high-quality deliverables (project documents, monitoring reports and others). You will participate in business rounds, technical sessions, site visits, and other relevant events. Reporting directly to the Head of Renewables and Sustainable Technologies Americas, you will support other project offices with global Renewables and Sustainable Technologies and other carbon emission reductions related to sourcing and project development topics, as well as assign project coordination to support the team with such activities. You will be fully responsible for a team of project coordinators based in the Americas and you will ensure that all projects assigned to your team are implemented as agreed upon while adhering to a high standard quality. If you are an enthusiastic professional with an understanding of carbon finance, especially renewable energies and sustainable technologies, then we are looking for you!
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Responsible for the implementation and management of the emission reductions projects which includes leading/drafting feasibility studies and project design documents, validation, monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) support under different standards (CDM, VCS, The Gold Standard, VERRA, and national or local Standards) among other local and international carbon schemes
- Be a key point of contact and maintain a good relationship with the team members inside the company, project owners, clients, validation and verification bodies, and other counterparts
- Provide technical and business development support with project sourcing
- Follow up with the internal procedures in our internal project management tool regarding all signed ERPAs
- Prepare proposal and deliverables and finalise them to the quality required by South Pole and the client
- Define and plan content and structure to support the certification of the project: work plans, work schedules, budgets, and deliverables
- Schedules Technical Reviews and Quality Checks
- Guide, train, support and be responsible for a team of project managers based in Americas
- ensure that all collaborators receive ongoing training and that they have the necessary skills and tools to perform their work
- Keep the team members (collaborators) informed of their progress in the project and remind them to stay within the time and budget agreed
- Draft invoices to be approved by the supervisor and sent to accounting for submission to clients
- Managing project owners’ accounts in our internal project management tool
- Update proposal/project information in project management tool to ensure all relevant documents are accessible on the drive at any time
- Keep general information, milestones and cash flow in the project management software up to date
- Planning and development of site visits and other types of business trips/training
- Experience in guiding and directing the work of others through functional knowledge/expertise in the field of Renewables and Sustainable Technologies and other carbon emission reduction related topics
- Ability to manage targets and priorities and develop your own and your team’s goals
- Capable to make decisions to improve the operational focus of the team and taking accountability for them
- Ability to manage a team (Junior to mid-level project coordinators) of up to 10 members including internal and/or external collaborators
- Advanced network of potential clients, collaborators or other relevant stakeholders
- Track record of project development in Mexico and other Latam countries preferred
- Able to manage and implement projects to generate carbon credits and renewable energy certificates, with a good level of independence
- Knowledge of mitigation technologies, including a wide range from renewable energy and energy efficiency to waste management technologies
- Knowledge of renewable energy certificates and green-power products and markets is considered an asset
- University degree in Civil, Mechanical, Energy Engineering, Natural Resources Management, Forestry, Environmental Sciences, Physics, Sustainability, Climate Change or Carbon Mitigation related fields, a Master’s degree is a plus
- At least five/six years work experience in the field of climate change mitigation/adaptation, sustainability consulting, or related fields, preferably with experience in project management and development of CDM, VCS and Gold Standard projects
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposal and deliverables) in English and Spanish
- Have excellent communication skills, especially verbal and written skills in English and Spanish
- Ability to manage targets and priorities and develop own goals
- National, or holder of a valid work visa in Mexico
- Strong analytical skills, good pitching skills
- Willingness and flexibility to travel within Mexico and to other countries (minimum 10%)
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.